Professional Baseball in Rochester
The History of Professional Baseball in Rochester
Leagues of Their Own
Rochester’s professional baseball clubs have played in the following leagues:
• The National Association, 1877-78
• No team in 1879
• National Association, 1880
• No baseball from 1881 through 1884
• New York State League, 1886-89
• International League, 1886-89
• American Association, 1890
• Eastern Association, 1891
• Eastern League, 1892
• No baseball in 1893 and 1894
• Eastern League, 1895-1912
• EL re-named International League, 1913
What's in a Name
Rochester’s professional baseball teams have been known by the following names through the more than 100 seasons of baseball in the Flower City:
Red Wings since 1929
Homes Sweet Homes
Here’s a look at the ballparks that have served as the home of professional baseball in Rochester
through the years:
• Hop Bitters Park - The home of the Rochester Nine from 1877-1885, Hop Bitters Park was located on North Union Street at Weld.
• Culver Field - Located at the northwest corner of University and Culver, Culver Field was home of the Rochester Bronchos from 1886 until it burned down in 1892. For the next two years, there was no professional team or park in Rochester. (In 1890, Rochester played its Sunday games at Windsor Beach Grounds in the town of Irondequoit).
• Riverside Park - The home field of the Rochester Brownies for three seasons. The ballpark opened in 1895 on the east bank of the Genesee River just north of Norton Street.
• Culver Field - Re-built in time for the 1898 season, the new Culver Field played host to the newly named Rochester Beau Brummels for a decade. However, the right field bleachers collapsed in 1906 leading to dozens of injuries and lawsuits. After the 1907 season, the ballpark was acquired by Gleason Works, which turned the site into the plant that stands to this day.
• Bay Street Park - Situated on the south side of Bay Street east of Webster Ave, Bay Street Park was the home of professional baseball in Rochester from 1908 until Red Wing Stadium opened in 1928. Bay Street Park’s outfield was so vast that automobiles and horse-drawn carriages parked in the outfield during games.
• Red Wings Stadium - Built by the St. Louis Cardinals for $400,000, the ballpark at 500 Norton St. was the home of the Wings from May 2, 1929 to September 12, 1996. In 1968, Red Wing Stadium was re-named in honor of Morrie Silver, who saved professional baseball in Rochester in the 1950’s.
• Frontier Field - Built for a cost of 35.3 million, this state-of-the-art facility became home of the Red Wings in 1997. Frontier Field was officially opened on July 11, 1996 with Opening Ceremonies and a concert by the Beach Boys. Located in downtown Rochester, Frontier Field is off Interstate Expressway 490.
Did You Know?
Rochester spent one season in the Major Leagues. In 1890, the Rochester nine were a member of the American Association, finishing fifth in the league with a 63-63 record.