In April of 2012, the Fresno Grizzlies and the Grizzlies Community Fund released its new community program called Farm Grown.
The mission of Farm Grown is to promote the agricultural heritage and philanthropic vitality of the Central San Joaquin Valley through the building of meaningful partnerships in support of education and healthy living.
The vision of Farm Grown is to provide agricultural awareness, while strengthening knowledge of the farming tradition in the Central San Joaquin Valley. Through private and public partnerships, Farm Grown serves to promote education to children and adults, encourage healthy eating and exercise, and recognize leaders in agriculture who give back to their communities.
Why Farm Grown?
Farm Grown is important to the Grizzlies and Fresno because it captures the two most important elements featured in the organization. Fresno is rooted in a strong agricultural background, with one out of every five jobs in the Central Valley related to agriculture (source: Great Valley Center). Fresno County alone produces more than 350 commercial crops, worth nearly $5 billion.
Meanwhile, the Fresno Grizzlies are the farm team of the San Francisco Giants. The Future Giants fine tune their skills during their time with the Grizzlies as they try to reach the Major League level. Stars such as Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Buster Posey, Madison Bumgarner and many more played for the Grizzlies before becoming the Giants of today.
How will Farm Grown be put into action?
- Connecting with Grizzlies Community Fund's Wild About Reading Program
- Parker will read from a new book in 2013 called, "Parker Goes To The Farm." Parker and his friends will visit a Central Valley farm and learn how they can become farmers.
- Farm Grown Ag Exhibits and Displays
- Information about the Central Valley's agricultural history as well as other facts about farming will be stationed around Chukchansi Park to help educate Grizzlies fans while at the ballpark.
- Farm Grown Community Farmers Markets
- The Grizzzlies Community Fund will host farmers markets at Chukchansi Park during Grizzlies games to offer fans local, healthy produce that they can enjoy at the ballpark or take home.
- Farm Grown Merchandise
- With the purchase of each Farm Grown merchandise item in the Grizzlies Team Store, 10% will be donated back to the Grizzlies Community Fund as part of the Farm Grown efforts to fulfill its mission.
- Farm Grown Community Partner Award
- The Grizzlies and the Grizzlies Community Fund will annually honor an individual from the local agricultural community that is helping those in need through charitable or philanthropic measures.
- Farm Grown Grants and Scholarships
- In an effort to support an education in agriculture, Farm Grown will offer scholarships and grants to individuals and/or groups that are pursuing an education in agriculture. More info about scholarships and grants will be posted soon.
The Grizzlies and the Grizzlies Community Fund would like to thank the following partners who have helped launch this important Farm Grown program:
Almond Board of California
American Pistachio Growers
Federal Land Bank Association of Kingsburg
Stamoules Produce Company
Wawona Frozen Foods