ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express opens its 2010 home schedule Friday, April 16, with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch against the New Orleans Zephyrs at The Dell Diamond. Friday's game starts a four-game series against the Zephyrs with games Saturday at 7:05 p.m., Sunday at 2:05 p.m. and Monday at 7:05 p.m. The season's first home stand continues April 20-23 as the Express host the Omaha Royals for a four-game series.
This is the Express' 11th season overall and sixth in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League. Round Rock plays 72 home games this season at The Dell Diamond, one of the nation's premiere Minor League Baseball facilities.
"Opening Day always is a special event," Express Owner and CEO Reid Ryan said. "Everyone is ready to get outside, enjoy the nice weather and watch baseball at a great venue. We're excited about the start of the new season at The Dell Diamond."
Plenty of festivities are planned for the first weekend of action at The Dell Diamond. Friday, Bud Light presents fans with 2010 schedule magnets and Friday Fireworks after the game. The World Gone Mad Drum and Bugle Corps will provide pregame entertainment.
Chase Donovan, son of the late Austin Police Department Officer Amy Donovan who was killed in the line of duty in 2004, will throw out Friday's ceremonial first pitch. He represents the 100 Club of Central Texas, who will provide the game's color guard and aircraft flyover.
Saturday's game is presented by Nyle Maxwell Family of Dealerships. Express caps will be available to the first 2,500 fans. Sunday's game, presented by H-E-B, is Kids' Day at The Dell Diamond; there will be a pregame Kids' Fest and all kids age 12 and under will be invited to run the bases after the game. Express Wiffle Ball bats also will be given to all kids age 12 and under, presented by North Carolina Furniture Direct.
In addition to the aforementioned events, Sunday's game will feature special recognition of 14 former Negro League players. Three authors who recently have published books about the Negro Leagues - Jerry Craft, Dr. Robert Fink and Dick "Lefty" O'Neal - will be on hand for book signings. Craft and O'Neal are two of the 14 players who will be on hand for the game. Also in attendance will be Dr. Layton Revel, director for the Center for Negro League Research. Revel, who is responsible for recognizing the Negro Leagues at a national level, soon will join with the city of Birmingham, Ala., to build a Negro League museum (scheduled to open in 2011).
Here is a full list of all promotions and events taking place at The Dell Diamond during the season's first home stand:
Friday, April 16 vs. New Orleans Zephyrs, 7:05 p.m.
- Game presented by Bud Light, Time Warner / News 8 Austin with AM 1300 The Zone
- Friday Fireworks presented by Bud Light
- 2010 schedule magnet giveaway presented by Bud Light
Saturday, April 17 vs. New Orleans Zephyrs, 7:05 p.m.
- Game presented by The Horn 104.9 FM ESPN, KXAN/CW Austin
- Express Cap Night presented by Nyle Maxwell Family of Dealerships (first 2,500 fans)
Sunday, April 18 vs. New Orleans Zephyrs, 2:05 p.m.
- Game presented by H-E-B with The River 102.3
- H-E-B Kids' Day with Kids' Fest before game and Kids Run the Bases after the game
- Express Wiffle Ball bats for kids age 12 and under presented by North Carolina Furniture Direct
- Negro League Players recognition, including a book signing with authors Jerry Craft, Dr. Robert Fink and Dick "Lefty" O'Neal
Monday, April 19 vs. New Orleans Zephyrs, 7:05 p.m.
- Game presented by Mrs Baird's with Majic 95.5 FM
- $1 Hot Dogs and Sodas
Tuesday, April 20 vs. Omaha Royals, 7:05 p.m.
- Game presented by Dell Inc.
- 2010 schedule mouse pads giveaway (first 2,500 fans)
- Half-Price Group Night presented by Liberty Mutual
- KRAFT Singles Tuesday Night Tickets
Buy one ticket, get one free from KRAFT Singles with purchase. Bring your package wrapper to an Express Tuesday game for a steal of a deal. Visit www.kraftsingles.com for more information. Exclusions apply.
- Camp & Vacation Tradeshow at the United Heritage Center, featuring a room full of ideas on how to fill the summer days
Wednesday, April 21 vs. Omaha Royals, 6:05 p.m.
- Game presented by Advocare with Time Warner Cable and Mix 94.7
- Faith and Family Night
Discounts for youth groups, coaches, volunteers and their families
Express players will share their testimonies following the game
Contact Chris Almendarez at (512) 255-2255 ext. 214 for more information
Thursday, April 22 vs. Omaha Royals, 7:05 p.m.
- Game presented by A+ Federal Credit Union and H-E-B with Univision, KLBJ 93.7 and The Horn 104.9 ESPN Austin
- Thirsty Thursday presented by Firetrol Protection Systems
- Reusable Express Grocery Bags presented by H-E-B (first 2,500 fans)</p>
Friday, April 23 vs. Omaha Royals, 7:05 p.m.
- Game presented by Bud Light, Time Warner Cable with KASE 101
- Friday Fireworks presented by Bud Light