Week 1: Aaron Becker
Editors Note: Mike Steinhice is one of the newer members of the Shorebirds front office staff. However, he is not an unfamiliar face to many fans at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium. He started with the Shorebirds in 2008 as a gameday usher. In 2009, he transitioned to an Inside Sales Representative before joining the staff on a full-time basis in June of 2010.
Steinhice's story is unique in that he is still in college. He will graduate (hopefully!) from Salisbury University in December.
In Mike's Own Words
I am the youngest member on staff currently. I am about to graduate from Salisbury University with my bachelors degree in History (counting down the days). I am originally from Westminster, MD and my love for baseball came from watching Frederick Keys games when I was younger. I then moved to Kent Island when I was 14 and graduated from Kent Island High School in 2006. I am a lifelong Baltimore Orioles fan and avid Baltimore Ravens fan, just ask anyone who watches Ravens games with me. I also really get into Maryland basketball games and am starting to really follow hockey and the Washington Capitals.
I started working for the Shorebirds when I first came to college because I needed a summer job and it seemed like the perfect fit. I then moved to the front office as an Inside Sales Representative in January of 2009 and moved to my current position in June of 2010. I love working here because the atmosphere is great and everyone on staff really gets along and I was treated well since the first day I started here.
What are you up to this offseason?
The off season is really the busiest time of the year for all of the front office staff. We have to get everything ready for the 2011 season, which is going to be a great year. For the most part I sell all offseason; I sell the ticket plans and group outings. It's a lot of long days but it is worth it at the end of the day because there is nothing better than seeing a packed stadium during the season. It makes me feel like I did my job to get the fans to come out to the ballpark.
Ten Questions with Mike...
1) Most famous person you have shaken hands with? Rick Dempsey, 2009 Opening Day...I had to get him a portable heater.
2) If you had a million dollars, you would? First, I would buy a car to replace the one I have now.
3) If you could eat dinner with three people, who would they be? Ray Lewis, Cal Ripken and Buck Showalter.
4) If you had a superpower, what would it be? The ability to fly, because who wouldn't want to be able to fly.
5) Place in the world that you haven't visited that you really want to? Australia
6) Favorite Orioles player of all-time? I am young, so Cal Ripken was the biggest name when I started following the Orioles.
7) Favorite three movies of all-time? Or TV shows? Saving Private Ryan best overall movie, Any Given Sunday best sports movie, Favorite Show Sportscenter.
8) Ballpark you most want to go see a game in? Fenway Park
9) If you could walk in someone's shoes for one day, who would it be? NFL Player, I think that would be so cool. The best job in sports is the third string quarterback.
10) Favorite restaurant in Salisbury? Olive Garden - I don't go there often but it is the best around.
Next week, you will get to meet Director of Special Events/Corporate Sales Executive Adrian Urbanski. Keep checking back to learn about each member of the Shorebirds front office staff.