One male and one female student in the Omaha area will be awarded a $500 scholarship from the Home Run Foundation of Greater Omaha. Each student will be chosen based upon their work in the classroom, involvement within the community, athletic achievement and other qualities. Last year, Boys Town High School's Damaris McKeiver and Omaha Central High School's Jazmine Park won scholarships toward their studies during the 2012-13 academic year.
"We remain committed in continuing the legacy of Jackie Robinson, so we will once again partner with the Home Run Foundation of Greater Omaha to reward two African-American high school student-athletes," said Martie Cordaro, President and General Manager of the Omaha Storm Chasers. "We anticipate receiving many deserving applications."
Interested applicants must submit their application by March 15, 2013, with the winners being announced on March 29. To be eligible for the Jackie Robinson Athletic Scholarship, students must meet the following criteria:
- United States citizen or permanent resident
- Resident of Sarpy, Douglas, Cass, Lancaster or Pottawattamie County
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- African-American and a high school student participating in athletics or school-sponsored activities
- High school senior or graduate planning to enroll in a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited postsecondary institution
Applications for the Jackie Robinson Scholarship can be found online at www.omahastormchasers.com under the "Community" tab. Completed applications should be sent by March 15, 2013 to:
c/o Omaha Storm Chasers
Attn: Andrea Stava
12356 Ballpark Way
Papillion, NE 68046