In Thursday night's game between the RockHounds and Corpus Christi, both clubs collected eight hits. The Hooks, however, "manufactured" six runs, while the 'Hounds could muster just one.
Corpus scored four in the first inning, beginning when leadoff man Austin Wates was hit by a 2-2 pitch and Ben Orloff's sacrifice bunt was compounded by a throwing error. After a fielder's choice put runners at the corners, the Hooks pulled off a double steal, with Wates stealing home for the game's first run. Domingo Santana singled up the middle, with Dusty Coleman making a terrific stop but throwing wide to first. Santana was credited with an RBI (George Springer scored from second on the play) despite the throw being wide. Max Stassi then hit a fly ball to right, with the (35-mile-an-hour) wind pushing the ball over the wall for a two-run home run, capping the inning.
The Hooks built the lead to 6-0 in the fifth, doing some serious "manufacturing." Corpus scored two on an infield single, a bunt single, a sacrifice bunt, an RBI single and an RBI ground out.
The 'Hounds had two men on in the second and fifth, but didn't get on the board until the seventh, when singles from David Freitas, D'Arby Myers and Jake Goebbert (RBI) pushed a run across.
Corpus Christi (16-11) now leads Frisco by one game, San Antonio by two and the 'Hounds by three games in the South pennant race.
Kibbles & Bits
- Arnold Leon was activated before the game and made the start (his fastball consistently hit 93 mph), and just two of the runs he allowed were earned.
- Sean Murphy was a "piggy-back" starter and pitched 5.0 solid innings. He was touched for the two "manufactured" runs in the fifth but, overall, pitched well, and now has an ERA of 2.60 in his three Double-A appearances.
- Max Stassi might well have been in a RockHounds uniform this season. The former high draft pick of the Oakland A's was part of a trade between Houston and Oakland in February. Stassi homered in his first at bat against his former organization.
- The RockHounds face the Hooks in Corpus Christi Friday night at 7:05, then head home to Citibank Ballpark for a quick, four-game set with the Frisco RoughRiders. The series begins Saturday night with post-game fireworks.
- The 'Hounds have dropped a season-high six straight.
Line Score R H E LOB
RockHounds 1 8 1 9
Corpus Christi Hooks 6 8 0 8
WP David Martinez (3-0, 0.98)
LP Arnold Leon (1-2, 6.55)
Sv Jorge De Leon (1, 1.54)
HR Corpus Christi Max Stassi (1) (A 2-run HR off Arnold Leon in the 1st)
vs. Corpus Christi Hooks (Houston Astros' AA Affiliate)
Friday, May 2 7:05 p.m. Radio at 6:58 p.m.
Wiataburger Field Corpus Christi, TX
Corpus Christi (RH) Ruben Alaniz (0-3, 4.43)
RockHounds (RH) Josh Bowman (2-0, 3.28)