That would be the 500-pound gorilla … otherwise known as a seven-game losing streak. Since leading the South at 13=8, the 'Hounds have fallen to 13-15, now trailing first place Corpus Christi by four games.
The Hooks completed a four-game sweep of the 'Hounds at Whataburger Field with a 10-4 win Friday night.
George Springer got the Hooks on the board in the first with a solo home run, his league-leading ninth of the season. Springer then had the key swing in a five-run second, drilling a two run double, as the Hooks built a 6-1 lead.
The RockHounds got to within 6-4 with a three-run third, capped by Beau Taylor's two-run, two-out single.
The Hooks then slowly pulled away, with Austin Wates' leadoff triple in the fourth turning into a run and a 7-4 lead, and returning momentum to Corpus Christi. The Hooks, as they did so successfully Thursday, manufactured one run in the fifth and two more in the sixth to produce the final margin.
After offense "ruled the day" early, Matt Heidenreich pitched 5.0 scoreless innings as the Hooks' "piggy-back" starter to earn the win.
Corpus Christi (17-11) held its lead in South (Frisco and San Antonio were in extra innings when the game here concluded), with the RockHounds now four games back.
Kibbles & Bits
- "Adding injury to insult," third baseman Jefry Marte suffered what appeared to be an ankle injury on a chopper to third base in the sixth inning and left the game.
- Anthony Aliotti went 2-for-4 (plus a walk), pushing his average to .343.
- Beau Taylor finished 3-for-4 (a post-game scoring change gave him a double to go with two singles) with two runs batted in.
- The RockHounds now return to Citibank Ballpark for a quick, four-game set with the Frisco RoughRiders. The series begins Saturday night with post-game fireworks and includes tow day games (Sunday at 2:00 and the annual Kids' Safety Awareness Day, Tuesday morning at 11).
- The 'Hounds have dropped a season-high seven straight.
Line Score R H E LOB
RockHounds 4 9 1 9
Corpus Christi Hooks 10 13 2 10
WP Matt Heidenreich (2-2, 6.35)
LP Josh Bowman (2-1, 5.02)
HR Corpus Christi George Springer (9) Solo in the 1st (off Josh Bowman)
vs. Frisco RoughRiders (Texas Rangers' AA Affiliate)
Saturday, May 4 7:00 p.m. Radio at 6:50 p.m.
Frisco (RH) Kevin Pucetas (3-2, 3.45)
RockHounds (LH) Carlos Hernandez (1-3, 3.58)