After saying "so long" to an eight-game losing streak Sunday afternoon, the RockHounds faced Texas Rangers left-hander Martin Perez (with Frisco on a re-habilitation assignment) Monday evening.
Perez looked "A-O-K" in four innings of work (great news for the Rangers), but the pitching story of the night, again, was Zach Neal. The RockHounds' starter pitched seven strong innings, and was backed by a five-run fifth inning, as the 'Hounds won their second straight, defeating the RoughRiders, 7-2.
Of the 'Hounds' seven runs, five were driven in by the number three and four hitters in the order. Anthony Aliotti drove in the game's first run on a ground out, then ripped a two-run double in the five-run fifth. Jeremy Barfield the capped the inning with a two run home run, a line drive into the left field bullpen.
Neal, signed as a minor league free agent by Oakland this spring (March 29) after being released (for whatever the reason) by the Miami Marlins, pitched at least 7.0 innings for the fourth consecutive start, allowing two runs on eight hits and one walk while striking out two. Zach was limited to fewer than five innings in his first two starts, after getting less work than usual in spring training. His 2.14 ERA now ranks seventh in the Texas League, making Miami's loss Oakland's (and the RockHounds') gain.
Corpus Christi broke got a scoreless tie on George Springer's league-leading 11th home run, defeating San Antonio, 3-0. The Hooks expanded their lead to two games over Frisco, with the RockHounds gaining a game on the Missions and RoughRiders. The 'Hounds and San Antonio are now each four games back.
Kibbles & Bits
- Anthony Aliotti went 2-for-3, with a two-run double and a walk. The Texas League's leading hitter at .356, "Ali" has hit in four straight games, going 7-for-14 with three doubles, three runs, three RBI and three walks.
- Jeremy Barfield homered for the second consecutive game (his team-high sixth) and shares the club's RBI with Aliotti (17).
- Dusty Coleman went 2-for-3 with a first-inning triple (he scored the first run of the contest), adding a walk and a single, scoring twice.
- David Freitas went 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles and an RBI. After a slow start, the 'Hounds' catcher is 6-for-19 in his last five games, with four runs, two doubles, a home run and four RBI.
- The RockHounds host Frisco Tuesday morning (11:00) with the annual Safety Awareness (Kids) Day. Wednesday is a league-wide off day (number three of 12 for the season) with the RockHounds opening an eight-game road trip at San Antonio Thursday. The 'Hounds will play a four-game set against the Missions before traveling on to Frisco for a four-game series with the RoughRiders.
WP Zach Neal (3-0, 2.14)
LP Arlett Mavare (0-1, 13.50)
HR RockHounds Jeremy Barfield A 2-run HR in the 5th (off Arlett Mavare)
vs. Frisco RoughRiders (Texas Rangers' AA Affiliate)
Tuesday, May 7 11:00 a.m. No radio broadcast