It was the "usual suspects" in a 1-0 win over the RockHounds at Citibank Ballpark Tuesday night. In this case, the "usual" meant speed … just enough hitting … and exceptional pitching.
The Missions have (by far) the league's best team earned run average (3.01) and have stolen 42 more bases than any other Texas League team. They only "swiped" one bag Tuesday, but it led to the game's only run, and an excellent pitching performance made the single run stand up.
Four San Antonio pitchers combined on the club's 14th shutout of the season, with Juan Orama escaping a first-inning threat before settling in to retire 11 consecutive batters in the early going. The first three RockHounds batters reached base, but left fielder Everett Williams threw out Conner Crumbliss at home plate on Jefry Marte's single to shallow left, keeping the 'Hounds off the board.
Jeudy Valdez walked and stole second base in the third inning, scoring what would be the game's only run on Cory Spangenberg's two-out single. RockHounds pitchers were equally outstanding, allowing just four hits (the 'Hounds had seven).
The night's other "headline story" unfolded quickly. D'Arby Myers sent the first pitch he saw into left field for a first-inning single, extending his hit streak to 30 games (see below).
Kibbles & Bits
- D'Arby Myers' hit streak is now at 30 consecutive games … the longest in professional baseball in 2013. The 'Hounds' center fielder went 1-for-4 and is now hitting .363 (45-124) in the remarkable streak, which began on July 21. D'Arby is fifth in the Texas League with a .289 average (former RockHound Anthony Aliotti leads the league at .350).
- Jefry Marte has hit in 12-ofhis-last-13 games (and has reached base in 13 straight), going 22-51 (.431). Over his last 22 games, the 'Hounds' third baseman is hitting .354 (28-79).
- Conner Crumbliss has reached base in 42-of-his-last-45 games (48-162, .296) and has hit in 11-of-his-last-14 (19-55, .345). He ranks fifth in the Texas League with 65 walks … third in on-base percentage (.411) … and is sixth in the league batting race at .285.
- Sean Murphy turned in another outstanding start and was tagged with another tough defeat. In his last 10 outings, "Murph" is 2-5, with a 2.59 earned run average, and now ranks ninth in the Texas League with a 3.70 season ERA.
- First baseman Anthony Aliotti and pitcher Carlos Hernandez have been named to the 2013 Texas League Post-Season All-Star Team. "Ali" will win the league batting title (.350) and will also capture the "percentage triple crown," leading the league in batting, slugging and on-base percentage. His .350 average is seventh all-time in the franchise's 42-year history. Carlos will finish second in the league - - - and second all-time in the franchise's four-plus decades - - - with a 2.18 ERA. He has also set a new career record, winning 32 games as a member of the RockHounds over parts of five seasons (pitching both as a starter and reliever).
- The RockHounds are home at Citibank Ballpark to close the 2013 season, hosting San Antonio Wednesday, "Thirsty Thusday" and Friday … followed by a three-game labor day weekend set with the Frisco RoughRiders. Saturday night's game will be followed by the season's final fireworks show, and the Sunday and (Labor Day) Monday games are both four o'clock starts.
WP: Juan Oramas (2-2, 2.84)
LP: Sean Murphy (8-7, 3.70)
SV: Jeremy McBryde (15, 1.96)
vs. San Antonio Missions (San Diego Padres' AA Affiliate)
Wednesday, August 28 - 6:30 p.m. (Radio at 6:15 p.m.)
San Antonio: (RH) Donn Roach (8-12, 3.69)
RockHounds: (RH) Drew Granier (2-6, 5.58)