If someone were to write the lyrics to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" today, they might still include peanuts and popcorn and Cracker Jack. But they would also be sure to include beer, and more specifically, craft beer.
Baseball and beer have been synonymous for more than a century, and the bond continues today with such team names from the Milwaukee Brewers of the National League to the Hillsboro Hops of the Northwest League.
The Iowa Cubs are expanding their craft beer offerings to fans at Principal Park this season. What started with one local craft beer -- Iowa Oaks Ale in 2008 -- grew to eight last season and 14 this season.
The micro-brewery offerings this season are:
- Confluence Brewing Company Farmer John's Ale
- Confluence Brewing Company Des Moines IPA
- Confluence Brewing Company Capital Gold Ale
- Confluence Brewing Company Seasonal
- Exile Brewing Company Ruthie, Unfiltered Wheat
- Exile Brewing Company Hannah, Gold Lager
- Madhouse Brewing Company Honey Pilsner
- Madhouse Brewing Company Pastime Pale Ale
- Court Avenue Brewing Company Belgian White
- Court Avenue Brewing Company Iowa Oaks Ale
- Peace Tree Brewing Company Red Rambler
- Peace Tree Brewing Company Hop Wrangler
- Millstream Brewing Company Iowa Pale Ale
- Backpocket Brewing Slingshot Dunkel
"With the recent craft beer success in Iowa, the Iowa Cubs and Centerplate will expand our craft beer offerings for the 2014 season," said Derek Hickey, General Manager of Centerplate, the food and beverage provider to Principal Park. "Our fans liked the selections we offered last season, and we know they will enjoy our expanded lineup for this season."
The craft beer offerings continue a partnership among the Iowa Cubs, Centerplate and the Iowa Craft Beer Tent.
The Iowa Cubs open at the 2014 season at home on Thursday, April 3.