Following a day off Tuesday the Jacksonville Suns (12-13) are back to work, beginning a five game series with Mississippi (10-15) which gets underway at Trustmark Park on Wednesday. Game one between the Suns and Braves is set for a Noon ET first pitch.
Jacksonville enters the matchup fresh off back to back victories to close out the series with division leading Montgomery. Mississippi comes in with some momentum as well. The Braves won a rubber match on Monday to claim three of five from Pensacola. It served as Mississippi's first series victory of 2014.
Anthony DeSclafini (3-2, 3.77) receives the nod from manager Andy Barkeett's as Jacksonville's starting pitcher for game one of the new series. Emerging from the home dugout will be right-hander Aaron Northcraft (1-1, 4.63). Northcraft will be making his third start of the season for Mississippi.
Jacksonville won the series over the Braves last season 6 games to 4, winning both the home and away sets by identical 3 games to 2 decisions. The teams are scheduled to meet for only a single series in each city again this year. Once this week's contests in Mississippi are complete, the clubs will not meet again until August 6-10 at Bragan Field in Jacksonville.
Interestingly, the Braves and Suns face off at the same time their parent organizations are the midst of a National League Eastern Division series in Miami. The Marlins took game one on Tuesday by a final of 9-0. The divsion rivals continue their series on Wednesday at 7:10 p.m. ET.
Fans can listen to the game live on the Suns Baseball Network, with the "Voice of the Suns" Roger Hoover providing play by play. Hoover is now in his third season as Jacksonville's Director of Broadcasting. He is assisted by Michael West and Jason Patterson. West and Patterson will host the Memorial Hospital Suns Pre-game Show beginning at 11:45 a.m. ET on the Suns Baseball Network.
Matchup: Mississippi (10-15, T-4th SL South) @ Jacksonville (12-13, 3rd SL South)
Starters: JAX : RHP Anthonly DeSclafani (3-2, 3.77) MIS: RHP Aaron Northcraft (1-1, 4.63)
Series: Begins today
Who's Hot: Rich Poythress (3 for 4 in the finale of the Montgomery Series)
Sun Spots: Here are few notes to consider heading into tonight's game, direct from the official Suns game notes compiled by Michael West:
- With Jacksonville's 4-3 win on Monday, the Suns secured a winning 10-game homestand (finished 6-4).
- Danny Black had his 10-game hitting streak snapped in Monday's 4-3 win (finished 0-for-3 with a walk).
- After last pitching with the Suns on April 7, 2012, Matt Montgomery earned the win in his first professional appearance in more than two years (Tommy John surgery).
- All nine of Grant Dayton's outings have been scoreless (12.2 innings, 0 runs, 15 strikeouts)
- By throwing out Ryan Brett stealing third base on Monday, J.T. Realmuto now leads the Southern League in caught stealing percentage at .467 (caught seven of 15 would-be base stealers in 2014).
Today's broadcast will air on the Suns Baseball Network's flagship station 94.1 Classic Rock WSOS-FM. It can also be found via the Suns' mobile app. Click the link below to listen online.