Aberdeen, MD (July 9th 2019) - Tuesday was wild at Leidos Field at Ripken Stadium, to say the very least. Aberdeen and Lowell battled an extra inning game, where the 'Birds tied it in three consecutive innings and won it in the 13th.
W: Marlon Constante (1-1)
L: Jose Larez
- 2nd inning: Juan Montes and Lenin Rodriguez would both single, with Rodriguez getting an RBI and making it 1-0 Aberdeen.
- 5th inning: After retiring 13 in a row, Leonardo Rodriguez surrendered a run on a solo homer from Nick Northcut that made it 1-1.
- 10th: Lowell took the lead on an RBI single in the top. In the bottom, a great bunt single for Rodriguez put runners on the corners and no outs, a grounder in the infield tied the game.
- 11th inning: With a one run deficit again, Toby Welk had a two out RBI single to tie it and send us to the 12th.
- 12th inning: Aberdeen trailed by two. A wild pitch scored Andrew Fregia from third, and another two out hit tied it up. Zach Watson poked an RBI single to right and made it 5-5.
- 13th inning: Lowell scored again, this time on an RBI single by Alex Erro.
- Bottom of the 13th: With two outs and the bases loaded, Aberdeen was down one and Kyle Stowers entered as a pinch hitter. He smoked a line drive double to right, scoring Watson from third and Austin Hays from second. Aberdeen won the game 7-6.
KEY IRONBIRDS CONTRIBUTORS
- Toby Welk: 3-for-5, RBI, BB
- Leonardo Rodriguez: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 7 K
- Lenin Rodriguez: 2-for-4, RBI
NEWS & NOTES
- Toby Welk's had his first three hit game of his career.
- Aberdeen fanned a season high 18 batters.
- This was the longest game of the season for the IronBirds, who had never played a game longer than 10 innings.
- Through 24 games, Aberdeen is 12-12 and has gone 2-3 in extra innings contests. They have won two series in a row.
IronBirds at West Virginia Black Bears, Wednesday 6:35 P.M.
Monongalia County Ballpark - Morgantown, W.V.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.