Brooklyn, NY (July 6th 2019) - July fourth weekend concluded on Saturday in Brooklyn, and the IronBirds found the scoreboard first for the fourth straight game. They won it in 9 innings this time, with a 5-4 final.
W: Morgan McSweeney
L: Jaison Valera
S: Connor Gillispie
- 2nd Inning: Back to back hits by Toby Welk and Kyle Stowers led to an RBI for Joey Ortiz that made it 1-0
- 3rd inning: A two run shot for Martin Cervenka was the hihglight of a four hit, three run inning to make it 4-0.
- 4th inning: Brooklyn answered with a two run homer from Yoel Romero and cut the lead in half
- 6h inning: Aberdeen scored what would become the game winning run. Welk Reached on an error and scored on an RBI single for Ortiz.
- 8th inning: Brooklyn made it a one run contest with a two run double from Luke Ritter
- Connor Gillispie: In his first save opportunity as a pro, he struckout Joe Genord with the game tying run at second in the 8th. He would retire the side in order in the 9th and seal a 5-4 win.
KEY IRONBIRDS CONTRIBUTORS
- Toby Welk: 2-for-4, 2 R
- Kyle Stowers: 2-for-4
- Morgan McSweeney: Win, 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 3 K
- Connor Gillispie: Save, 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K
NEWS & NOTES
- Toby Welk's 5th multi hit game of his career. His is now leading the team with a .351 batting average.
- Gilispie has not allowed a hit in his 5.1 IP as a professional.
- Through 21 games, Aberdeen is 10-11 and has won four in a row for the first time this season.
IronBirds vs. Spinners, Sunday 5:00 P.M.
Leidos Field at Ripken Stadium - Aberdeen, M.D.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.