CURVE, Pa. - His "Mandatory Fun" album reached #1 on the Billboard pop charts recently and he's now being championed by his fans to be the entertainment at next year's Super Bowl. So, the time is right for the Altoona Curve, Double-A affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates, to celebrate the success of Weird Al Yankovic with "Weird Al(Toona) Night" on Wednesday, August 27. At the same time, the team's rally mascot, Al Tuna, will play a starring role on the night when the Curve play the Richmond Flying Squirrels in a 7 p.m. game at Peoples Natural Gas Field in Altoona, Pa.
Among the plans for "Weird Al(Toona) Night" are:
- Free admission for fans wearing Hawaiian shirts, having shoulder-length curly hair, and those who are architects (Yankovic majored in architecture at Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo)
- Playing of videos and music from Weird Al Yankovic's first-ever #1 album on the pop chart, "Mandatory Fun" - including "Word Crimes", "Tacky", "Handy", and "Inactive"
- A karaoke station where fans can sing Weird Al classics like "Eat It", "Amish Paradise", "Like a Surgeon", "eBay", and "I Lost on Jeopardy"
- On-Field events like an "Eat It" Extreme Eating Contest and a "Sing for Your Dairy" event with Weird Al tunes instead of the usual "Dance for Your Dairy" contest
- Al Tuna, the Curve's rally mascot, will come out of his hole in the center field wall to Weird Al tunes when the Curve score. Al will also be dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and long, curly wig
- Video clips of UHF, the movie written by and starring Weird Al, will be shown on the ballpark's video board
- Food specials to include Twinkie Weiner Sandwiches (as made famous in UHF) and Whoopie Pies, since Weird Al reportedly likes desserts.
The activities were not planned for Aug. 27 randomly. Weird Al has an affinity for the number 27 as it appears frequently in his songs, album covers, and more. If you don't believe it, check out this link: http://weirdal.wikia.com/wiki/27.
"Weird Al(Toona) Night was just begging to be done," said Curve General Manager Rob Egan. "He's at the top of his craft, our rally mascot shares his name and penchant for weirdness, and we have a game on the 27th."
For more information on "Weird Al(Toona) Night" or any of the Curve's final ten home games of the season, call 877-99-CURVE, log on to AltoonaCurve.com, or check out the team's Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram outlets. The Curve return to Peoples Natural Gas Field on Tuesday, August 12 to face the Trenton Thunder (Yankees) at 7 p.m.