North Little Rock, AR-A ninth inning rally came up just short for the Arkansas Travelers on Thursday night as they fell to the Springfield Cardinals, 6-4. The Cardinals busted a 1-1 tie scoring five times in the seventh on a bases loaded walk from Andrew Knizner and a grand slam by John Nogowski. Arkansas rallied in the 9th with five straight men reaching with one out to put three runs on the board and bring the winning run to the plate. Jacob Evans came out of the Cardinal bullpen to squash the threat and record the final two outs. Both starting pitchers, Conner Greene of Springfield and Johendi Jiminian for Arkansas, worked six innings and allowed just one run.
Moments That Mattered
- Arkansas tied the score in the 5th inning when Seth Mejias-Brean and Joseph Odom singled preceding a sacrifice fly from Adam Law.
- Stephen Perakslis was on the verge of getting out of the 7th unscathed but back-to-back walks forced in a run to break the deadlock and setting up Nogowski's homer.
- Joseph Odom hit and RBI double and Law drove in two on a double to close the gap in the 9th.
- Evans got a fly out from Andrew Aplin and a strikeout of Chuck Taylor to end the game.
Notable Travs Performances
- C Joseph Odom: 2-4, run, 2B, RBI
- 2B Adam Law: 1-2, HBP, SF, 2B, 3 RBI
- Johendi Jiminian: 6 IP, 6 H, R, 2 BB, 6 K
Arkansas looks to even the series with Springfield on Friday night. First pitch is at 7:10 with a fireworks show postgame. Righty Nathan Bannister (1-0, 6.52) starts for the Travs against righty Sam Tewes (0-2, 7.56). The game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.