North Little Rock, AR-A pair of big innings early in the game carried the Arkansas Travelers to a 9-2 win over the Frisco RoughRiders on Saturday night at Dickey-Stephens Park. Joey Curletta had a pair of clutch two out hits including a three-run homer in the second inning and a two-run double in the third as the Travs scored all nine of their runs early in the game. Joe DeCarlo also had a double and a homer for Arkansas. Spencer Herrmann, making at spot start, fired four shutout innings and did not allow a hit until the fourth. Tyler Jackson followed Herrmann and threw 4.1 innings to earn the win.
Moments That Mattered
* Yonathan Mendoza put the Travs on top with an RBI single in the second.
* With two on and two out in the second, Curletta lifted a high drive to left field that just carried into the homerun basket for his eighth long ball of the year.
* The very next inning, DeCarlo smoked a two-run shot to left following a triple by Logan Taylor. Then, with two out, it was Curletta again, this time delivering a two-run double.
Notable Travs Performances
* CF Braden Bishop: 3-5, 2 runs
* 1B Joey Curletta: 2-5, run, 2B, HR, 5 RBI
* C Joe DeCarlo: 2-4, 2 runs, 2B, HR, 2 RBI
* SS Yonathan Mendoza: 2-3, 2 runs, BB, RBI
* LHP Spencer Herrmann: 4 IP, H, 2 BB, 3 K
* RHP Tyler Jackson: Win, 4.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 3 K, HR
Arkansas goes for the series win on Sunday afternoon with right-hander Chase De Jong (3-3, 4.09) on the hill against lefty Wes Benjamin (3-3, 3.53). First pitch is at 2:10 with a free kids clinic taking place at 12:20 and kids get to run the bases after the game. The game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.