North Little Rock, AR-Willie Argo hit a grand slam with two out in the bottom of the eighth inning to send the Arkansas Travelers out as winners in the 2017 season finale, 4-2 over Northwest Arkansas in front of 6,064 at Dickey-Stephens Park. The Travs had been shutout by three Naturals pitchers (Corey Ray, Walker Sheller and Tim Hill) until the well-timed blast. Lindsey Caughel pitched seven innings of one-run ball for the Travs and finished the season with 157.2 innings pitched to lead the Texas League.
Moments That Mattered
- Northwest Arkansas scored runs in the third and eighth innings on a pair of RBI doubles from Alfredo Escalera.
- Argo's grand slam followed two walks and a base hit in a span of four hitters off Yunior Marte.
- Ryan Kelly pitched a 1-2-3 ninth with help from third baseman Seth Mejias-Brean who made a diving stop to his left to throw out a runner.
Notable Travs Performances
- CF Willie Argo: 2-4, run, 2B, GS, 4 RBIs
- 2B Nelson Ward: 2-4, 2B
- RHP Lindsey Caughel: 7 IP, 4 H, R, 2 BB, 4 K
The Travelers are done for 2017 while Northwest Arkansas heads to the Texas League playoffs where they will meet Tulsa in a best-of-five first round series beginning on Wednesday. The season opener for 2018 is on Thursday April 5.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.