Springfield, MO-The Springfield Cardinals put together a seventh inning rally to defeat the Arkansas Travelers, 3-2 on Friday night. Max Povse pitched six innings of one-run ball with seven strikeouts but two Cardinals runs off reliever David McKay spoiled the night. The Travs were held to only four hits in the contests but had opportunities thanks to five walks and two hit batters. Austin Sexton and Jacob Evans combined for six scoreless innings out of the Springfield bullpen with Evans earning the victory.
Moments That Mattered
* After two walks opened the fourth inning, Joey Curletta greeted Sexton with a two-run double high off the left field fence to put the Travs on top.
* Arkansas missed a chance to add to the lead in the sixth after putting two on with a walk and a single, Chris Mariscal bounced into a double play that cooled the threat.
* Springfield tied the game on a sacrifice fly from Stefan Trosclair and then took the lead on Luke Dykstra's two-out groundball single to right field.
Notable Travs Performances
* 1B Joey Curletta: 2-3, BB, 2B, 2 RBI
* Max Povse: 6 IP, 5 H, R, 7 K
* Art Warren: IP, K
Game three of the series is Saturday night at 6:10. RH Chase De Jong (4-3, 3.92) is scheduled to pitch against RH Anthony Shew (4-2, 4.75). The game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.