North Little Rock, AR-An early pair of four-run innings put the Arkansas Travelers on the right track to another victory as they defeated the San Antonio Missions, 8-3 on Monday night at Dickey-Stephens Park. The Travs have taken the first two games of this series and won six of their past seven overall and eight of their last 10 to open the second half. Max Povse pitched five shutout innings with eight strikeouts while allowing just two infield hits and only one ball out of the infield total. All eight Arkansas runs came against San Antonio starter Cal Quantrill who is regarded as one of the top 100 prospects in baseball although only four of the runs were earned. Fernando Tatis, Jr., a consensus top 10 prospect in all of the game slugged a three-run homer for San Antonio that hit off the scoreboard. It is believed that less than 10 balls have been hit off that scoreboard in the history of the ballpark.
Moments That Mattered
* After an error put two on with two out in the first, Chris Mariscal roped an RBI hit to left field putting the Travs on top.
* One batter later, Beau Amaral cranked his third homer of the season, a 3-run shot to right field.
* Yonathan Mendoza smoked a two-run single to center with the bases loaded in the fourth to extend the Travs lead to six.
Notable Travs Performances
* CF Beau Amaral: 2-4, 2 runs, HR, 3 RBI
* SS Yonathan Mendoza: 3-4, run, 2 RBI
* Max Povse: Win, 5 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 8 K
Arkansas goes for a sweep of the three game series on Tuesday night with LH Anthony Misiewicz (1-5, 4.50) on the hill against RH Miguel Diaz (3-2, 2.39). First pitch is at 6:10 with fireworks afterwards. The game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.