Springfield, MO-The Arkansas Travelers (35-33) moved to the verge of a first half TL North title with a 6-4 win over the Springfield Cardinals on Saturday night in front of a sold out Hammons Field. Springfield is eliminated from the title chase with their loss while Tulsa defeated NW Arkansas to remain alive as both of those teams are now two games behind the Travs. Max Povse pitched seven strong innings to earn the win. He did not allow a run over his final four frames. Matt Walker then tossed the final two innings to pick up his second save. Donnie Walton led the offense with his second straight multi-hit contest including a two-run single to tie the game as part of a four-run second inning. A bases loaded walk from Braden Bishop gave the Travs a lead they would not relinquish.
Moments That Mattered
* Arkansas had just two hits in their four-run second inning but drew three walks and Springfield committed a critical error in the frame as well. Walton's two-run knock tied it, Bishop's bases loaded walk forced in the go-ahead run and then Chuck Taylor added a sacrifice fly.
* With the lead down to one, Chuck Taylor lined an infield single off the base umpire to drive in a run and extend the lead in the fourth. Eric Filia followed with a sacrifice fly.
* Springfield put two runners on base in both the sixth and seventh innings but the Travs turned a 6-4-3 double play to end each of the threats.
Notable Travs Performances
* LF Chuck Taylor: 1-4, 2 RBI
* 2B Donnie Walton: 3-3, BB, 2 runs, 2 RBI
* Max Povse: Win, 7 IP, 8 H, 3 R, BB, 4 K
* Matt Walker: Save, 2 IP, 3 H, R, 4 K
The Travs will try to clinch a first half championship in the opener of a series at Northwest Arkansas on Sunday afternoon. RH Chase De Jong (4-3, 4.03) takes the ball against RH Zach Lovvorn (4-3, 5.40). First pitch from Springdale is set for 2:05 and the game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.