North Little Rock, AR-Cael Brockmeyer hit a three-run homer in the first inning and the Tulsa Drillers never trailed as they went on to defeat the Arkansas Travelers, 7-2 on Friday night in front of 6,457 at Dickey-Stephens Park. Brockmeyer finished the night 2-3 with a walk, the homer, three runs scored and three RBI. Although the Travs answered with two in the bottom half of the inning and connected for 11 hits, they had a frustrating night at the plate going just 1-8 with runners in scoring position and stranding nine men on base. The loss was the Travs seventh in their past eight games.
Moments That Mattered
* Brockmeyer's first inning homer, which was just fair down the left field line and just over the wall, came after a pair of two-out walks.
* Errol Robinson came up with a clutch two out hit to score a pair in the fourth as Tulsa extended their lead to four.
* The Travs loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the fourth but Joseph Odom's sharp grounder was stabbed by a diving Robinson at short to begin a tough 6-4-3 double play.
* Down by five, the Travs showed life in the bottom of the ninth by again loading the bases with one out. But Eric Filia hit a sharp grounder that turned into a game-ending 4-6-3 double play.
Notable Travs Performances
* LF Chuck Taylor: 3-5, run
* 3B Logan Taylor: 2-2, 2 BB, 2B
* Matt Walker: 2 IP, 2 K
Game three of the series is set for Saturday night at 6:10. Gates open at 5:10 with a thunderstix giveaway. Right-hander Chase De Jong (5-5, 4.04) will pitch against a yet to be announced starter for Tulsa. The game will also be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.