Springfield, MO-The Arkansas Travelers closed out their season long domination of the Springfield Cardinals with a 5-3 on Friday night. Arkansas won a staggering 22 of 32 meetings from their division rivals in 2018. It was the 70th win of the season for the Travs overall and guarantees them a winning record this year. The Travs never trailed in the contest but saw a three-run lead disappear before rallying with a pair of runs in the eighth for the victory. Williams Perez settled for no decision despite another quality start of six innings with two runs allowed and retiring 11 in a row at one point. Matt Walker ended up as the winner out of the bullpen with Matt Festa notching save number 20.
Moments That Mattered
* Dario Pizzano put the Travs up by three with a two-run homer in the fifth inning. It was his 10th long ball of the season.
* Jeremy Martinez completed the Cardinal comeback with a tying solo homer in the seventh.
* Arkansas answered immediately in the eighth. Kyle Lewis drew a one out walk and Yonathan Mendoza followed with a single. Donnie Walton then worked a full count and on the ninth pitch of the at-bat pulled a ball fair past the first base bag for a two-run double that would be the game-winning hit.
Notable Travs Performances
* LF Chuck Taylor: 3-5, run
* 2B Donnie Walton: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI
* Williams Perez: 6 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 5 K
* Matt Festa: Save, IP, 2 K
The regular season ending road trip continues with the start of a three game series at Northwest Arkansas on Saturday night. Left-hander Anthony Misiewicz (3-11, 5.03) makes the start against righty Jon Perrin (0-2, 4.60). First pitch is set for 6:05 and the game will be broadcast on the Sports Animal 920, the First Pitch App, TuneIn radio and milb.tv.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.