CONEY ISLAND, NY (September 15, 2021) – Cody Bohanek homered twice and Francisco Alvarez took over the Mets organizational home run lead, but the Brooklyn Jefes’ rally fell short in a 4-3 loss to the Medusas de Jersey Shore Thursday night at Maimonides Park as both teams kicked off Hispanic
CONEY ISLAND, NY (September 15, 2021) – Cody Bohanek homered twice and Francisco Alvarez took over the Mets organizational home run lead, but the Brooklyn Jefes’ rally fell short in a 4-3 loss to the Medusas de Jersey Shore Thursday night at Maimonides Park as both teams kicked off Hispanic Heritage Month with MiLB’s Copa de la Diversion.
Win: Vargas (3-4) | Loss: Vilera (3-8) | Save: Potter (1)
Cyclones HR: Bohanek 2 (8, 9) Alvarez (21)
Box Score I Play-by-Play
- Down 4-3 in the ninth, Branden Fryman grounded out to end the threat, leaving runners at first and second base against Jersey Shore closer Mark Potter.
- Jersey Shore’s Carlos De La Cruz homered in the top of the fourth to take a 2-1 lead. His two-out RBI double to left field, which left his bat at 112 mph, gave the Blue Claws a 3-2 lead.
- Cody Bohanek banged two home runs, including the tying home run in the bottom of the second to make it 1-1. His long ball in the eighth cut the deficit to 4-3.
- Behind 2-1 in the fourth, Francisco Alvarez creamed a solo shot to even the score 2-2.
- Victor Vargas threw a quality start for Jersey Shore for the victory, going six innings of two-run ball with five strikeouts in the victory.
KEY CYCLONES PERFORMERS
- Cody Bohanek: 3-4, two home runs, two RBIs, two runs
- Francisco Alvarez: 1-4, home run, RBI, run
- Nic Gaddis: 1-3, double, walk
- Evy Ruibal: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
NEWS AND NOTES
- Francisco Alvarez banged his Mets-organizational-leading 23rd home run of the season. Alvarez has mashed five home runs in September.
- Brooklyn’s Jaison Vilera made 20 starts, becoming the first Cyclones pitcher in franchise history to collect 20.
- The series is tied at one game apiece. With the win, Jersey Shore is 15-11 against the Cyclones in 2021.
Cyclones vs. Jersey Shore, Thursday, 7 p.m. at Maimonides Park -- Coney Island, NY
Probables: RHP Oscar Rojas (0-4, 8.68 ERA) vs. RHP Griff McGarry (1-0, 2.79 ERA)
Audio: Brooklyn Cyclones Radio Network