Hall of Fame Commemorative Coins Now Available at Riley Park
CHARLESTON, SC - The 75th anniversary of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, NY has already featured its annual induction ceremony and a visit from President Barack Obama. The United States Mint also partnered with the Hall of Fame to create its first set of curved coins in recognition of this anniversary, and the Charleston RiverDogs are offering their fans and Lowcountry numismatists a chance to own this special keepsake.
While supplies last, the Charleston RiverDogs are now selling 75th Anniversary Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin packages at the Souvenir Store inside Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park and on-line at www.riverdogs.com. These clad half-dollar curved coins, the first of their kind from the United States Mint, come in an acrylic display case. This coin package, which is priced at $55, includes a ticket for admission into the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, NY.
"Baseball history is very important to the RiverDogs, which is why we are proud to have these Hall of Fame Commemorative Coins on sale at The Joe," said RiverDogs General Manager Dave Echols. "These collectible coins will be a treasured keepsake for any baseball fan. Plus, the Hall of Fame ticket provides a great incentive for any of our fans to make a side trip to Cooperstown when they visit New York to watch our former RiverDogs play with the Yankees."
The obverse (heads) features an open baseball glove to coincide with the concave shape for that side of this one-of-a-kind curved coin. Inscribed on the glove are "LIBERTY," "IN GOD WE TRUST" and "2014." The reverse (tails) is styled as a baseball to match its convex design. "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" is placed in-between the seams while "HALF DOLLAR" sits near the bottom of this unique coin.
The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum opened on June 12, 1939 and includes special baseball exhibits and memorabilia. Three hundred and six individuals have been elected to the shrine since its first induction class in 1936, and a few of them have notable ties to the Lowcountry.
Former Charleston minor leaguers Kiki Cuyler and Roberto Alomar are among the hundreds of players enshrined in Cooperstown. RiverDogs President Mike Veeck is the son of the late Hall of Fame executive Bill Veeck.
The Souvenir Store at Riley Park is open during business hours and during all RiverDogs home games. For more information, call the RiverDogs at (843) 723-7241. Souvenir Store merchandise may also be purchased on-line at www.riverdogs.com.