EL PASO - February 20, 2017 - The El Paso Chihuahuas High School Baseball Series kicks off on Tuesday, February 21st as the Coronado Thunderbirds take on the Riverside Rangers at 6:30 p.m. at Southwest University Park. Admission is free and open to the public.
The series, in its third season, gives local high school baseball athletes the chance to play on a Triple-A baseball field and features 10 games and 16 area high schools while also including Monahans High School and Alpine High School, each located four hours east of El Paso. Monahans and Alpine will each face Faith Christian on March 30th and April 28th, respectively. The baseball series concludes with Alpine vs. Faith Christian at 7 p.m.
The third edition of the series includes the "Battle of the Southside" as Jefferson will face Bowie on Wednesday, April 26th at 7 p.m. on the back end of a doubleheader.
The games not only give high school athletes the chance to have the big-league experience, but also serve as a fundraiser for each team with a portion of each Chihuahuas ticket sold going back to the participating school.
A complete list of rules as well as details on the El Paso Chihuahuas High School Baseball Series can be found on the Chihuahuas website at EPChihuahuas.com.
El Paso Chihuahuas High School Baseball Series Schedule
Feb. 21 Coronado vs. Riverside 6:30 p.m.
March 24 Franklin vs. Eastwood 6:30 p.m.
March 25 Bel Air vs. Del Valle 5 p.m.
March 30 Monahans vs. Faith Christian 7 p.m.
April 1 Montwood vs. Americas 5 p.m.
April 11 Pebble Hills vs. Coronado 6:30 p.m.
April 13 Socorro vs. El Dorado 7 p.m.
April 26 Andress vs. Chapin 4 p.m.
April 26 Jefferson vs. Bowie 7 p.m.
April 28 Alpine vs. Faith Christian 7 p.m.
First team listed is the visitor.
El Paso Chihuahuas High School Baseball Series Stadium Rules
- Fans will be admitted for free to Southwest University Park.
- Restrooms will be open at sections 109 and 115.
- Concessions will be provided at the discretion of the Chihuahuas and Spectra Food Services.
- Outside food WILL NOT will be permitted.
- The pre-determined home team will be allowed to bring a public address announcer and National Anthem performer.
- A public address announcer will not be provided by the Chihuahuas.
- The Chihuahuas will not provide an official scorer.
- The scoreboard at Southwest University Park will be available.
- Coaches must contact umpires to inform them of the location of the game.
- Players and coaches must come ready to play. NO ACCESS to locker rooms or hitting tunnels.
- Teams WILL NOT be allowed to take batting practice before the game. Teams will be allowed to take infield /outfield practice before the game.
- Please utilize downtown parking space where available. This does not include Ballpark VIP parking behind the stadium.
- Bus parking will be coordinated through Ryan Knox.
- Southwest University Park is a smoke free facility including e-cigarettes.
El Paso Chihuahuas High School Baseball Series Field Rules
- Please stay on the mound after throwing a pitch (Do not walk after every pitch to the catcher and receive the ball on the grass).
- Umpires please stand on the dirt down the foul lines; not in the grass.
- 2B and SS please play on the infield dirt and not right on the grass edge.
- 1B and 3B should stay on the dirt as much as possible for positioning.
- Warm up pre-game 20 ft. off the foul lines please (towards left-center and Right Center Field).
- Keep warm up swings on the warning track please, not in the foul territory grass while on deck.
- If sunflower seeds/gum are allowed please spit them in a cup and not all over the field/in front of the dugouts.
- Hitters please lay bats down at home plate; don't spike in into the turfgrass; please do not throw bats back towards dugout.
- Please only use one bullpen mound in each area.
- Pitchers, please don't dig a hole in front of the rubber.
- Please wear turf shoes as long as possible pregame; put your spikes on after warms-ups if possible.
Please dump all water and ice from coolers down dugout drains. Do not throw it on the field.