COLUMBIA, SC - Scott Manea drilled his 11th homer of the season and drove in four in Columbia's 7-5 win over Asheville on Friday night. Columbia has taken the first two games of the series and has now won seven of its last nine.
The offense tallied 12 more hits on Friday after 11 against Asheville (31-27, 58-69) on Thursday. Manea's home run was the Columbia's (25-31, 59-64) 20th over its last 15 games. The 79 total home runs this season is a Fireflies single-season franchise record.
Manea was one of five Fireflies who tallied multi-hit games:
- Hansel Moreno : 2-for-4 … the switch-hitter recorded his fourth straight multi-hit game and stole his eighth base over the last eight games
- David Miranda: 2-for-4 … the Californian is hitting .356 over his first 12 games as a Firefly
- Matt Winaker : 3-for-4 … the lefty drove in a run with a double in the first and now owns a team-best 57 RBI
- Scott Manea: 2-for-4 … the catcher has put together a fine season, batting .263 with 11 homers and 51 RBIs in 90 games
- Jose Brizuela : 2-for4 … the Venezuelan owns six hits in his last three games against Asheville
Columbia starter Marcel Renteria (W, 4-3) impressed at times on Friday as well. The righty pitched into the seventh frame and struck out six. Conner O'Neil (S, 4) closed the door with three scoreless innings after taking over for Renteria. O'Neil fanned five and walked no one.
TOP 1 - Matt Hearn scores on a throwing error by Columbia first baseman Dionis Paulino . ASH 1, COL 0
BOTTOM 1 - Matt Winaker doubles in a run … Scott Manea then slashes his 11th homer of the year. COL 3, ASH 1
TOP 3 - Nic Motley homers. COL 3, ASH 2
TOP 4 - Matt McLaughlin doubles in Todd Czinege. COL 3, ASH 3
BOTTOM 4 - Gio Alfonzo's sacrifice fly into centerfield drives in Zach Rheams. COL 4, ASH 3
BOTTOM 5 - Manea brings in two with a double … Jose Brizuela drives in a run with a single. COL 7, ASH 3
TOP 7 - McLauhglin scores on an error … Tyler Bugner's single plates Motley. COL 7, ASH 5
The Fireflies go for their third straight win on Saturday at 6:05 ET. Asheville is expected to throw right-hander Frederis Parra (4-3, 4.17). Columbia counters with righty Yeizo Campos (1-4, 4.23).
You can watch the action on MiLB.TV or listen in on FOX Sports Radio 1400 AM, ColumbiaFireflies.com and the iHeartRadio app starting at 5:45 p.m.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.