Tigers Win on Extra Innings Walk Off, Second Game Gets Canceled After Four

Burdeaux's Game-Winning Hit Seals Victory for Connecticut Before Rain

The Tigers celebrate Dylan Burdeaux walk off hit in game one. (Kevin Pataky)

By Connecticut Tigers | July 13, 2017 4:44 PM ET

Link to game 1 photo gallery

(Norwich, CT) - Rain once again disrupted the series between the Connecticut Tigers and Williamsport Crosscutters, but the Tigers prevailed in extra innings of the only completed game of the series.

Dylan Burdeaux delivered a game-winning hit off the wall in deep left-centerfield, completing yesterday's suspended game by scoring Luke Burch from third in the bottom of the eighth. Burch set the table with a one-out single, then advanced to second on a walk to Garret McCain before both runners moved up on a wild pitch while Burdeaux was at the plate.

The Tigers tied the game on a two-out RBI single to right-centerfield by Joey Morgan in the bottom of the fourth, the frame when the game restarted this morning after last night's wash out.  

Wladimir Pinto earned his first win of the season with two scoreless innings, striking out three. He combined with Clate Schmidt to hold the Crosscutters hitless over four innings of the game's continuation. Combined with the one single Matt Manning yielded in his four innings of work yesterday, Connecticut pitching held Williamsport to just one hit in the entire eight-inning game.

The Tigers and Crosscutters made it through four innings of the scheduled second game, with Connecticut owning a 5-0 lead three outs away from making it an official game. Heavy rain poured down as the Crosscutters came to bat in the top of the fifth, and the grounds crew raced to get the tarp on the field. They worked feverishly for more than an hour, dragging the tarp on and off the field and treating the infield as multiple rain cells moved in and out of Norwich. Once the rain picked up for a third time, it rendered the field unplayable and canceled the game with no make up. The teams do not meet again this season.

The Tigers raced to an early 2-0 lead in the first behind aggressive heads-up base-running and timely situational hitting. Ro Coleman hustled first to third on a base hit up the middle by Teddy Hoffman, who advanced to second on the throw to third from the outfield. Both Coleman and Hoffman came home on consecutive sacrifice flies by Burdeaux and Reynaldo Rivera.  

Rivera drove in another, scoring Hoffman on a single to center in the third. The Tigers added two more in the fourth on a run-scoring wild pitch and a double to left by Andres Sthormes that brought home Hunter Swilling.  

However, none of the statistics from the four innings that were played in game two will count, as Mother Nature closed the door on completing the game. The Tigers begin a six-game road trip that starts tomorrow night against the Aberdeen IronBirds at 7:05 pm. The Tigers return to Dodd Stadium on July 20 when they host the Brooklyn Cyclones at 7:05 pm. 


Link to game 1 photo gallery


This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.

View More