Tuesday, June 11, 2019 l Game # 65
Fifth Third Field l Dayton, Ohio l 7:00 p.m.
Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
West Michigan Whitecaps (20-44) at Dayton Dragons (25-39)
LH Adam Wolf (2-7, 6.99) vs. RH Jhon De Jesus (1-5, 5.24)
Click Here for the complete Press Box Notes packet
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the West Michigan Whitecaps (affiliate of the Detroit Tigers) in the first game of a three-game series.
2019 Season Series: Dayton 3, West Michigan 0 (all at West Michigan).
Winning Streak: The Dragons have won eight straight games, tying for the fifth longest winning streak in franchise history. During the winning streak, the Dragons have outscored their opponents 45-24. This is their longest winning streak since they won nine straight, April 9-20, 2018. The club record is 13 straight wins in 2002. The Dragons won 11 straight in 2007 and nine straight in 2007, 2011, and 2018.
Last Game: Monday: Dayton 3, Fort Wayne 2. The Dragons scored three runs in the sixth inning to overcome a 1-0 deficit and held off a Fort Wayne scoring chance in the ninth for the win. Pabel Manzanero's tie-breaking two-run double in the sixth was the big hit. Connor Bennett entered the game with one out in the ninth and the tying run at second, recording the final two outs for the save. The game was the second time within the last week that the Dragons have won a game despite scoring three runs or less after losing their first 24 in that category this season.
- -During the Dragons eight-game winning streak, they lead the league in team batting (.270) and are third in runs scored (45). They rank second in the league in stolen bases (19, one behind Lansing). They are second in the league in doubles (14). On the mound, they rank first in team ERA (2.25), holds (6), and saves (5).
- -By winning all four games vs. Fort Wayne, the Dragons completed their first four-game series sweep since April 9-12, 2018 over Lake County in Dayton. In the four-game set with Fort Wayne, the Dragons established season highs for most runs in a series (25), highest batting average in a series (.284), and most stolen bases in a series (10). They matched their season high for most hits with runners in scoring position in a series (13).
- -Dragons starting pitchers in 15 games since May 25 have posted an ERA of 2.90 (68.1 IP, 22 ER) to lower their full-season ERA from 5.07 to 4.74.
- -Dragons relievers have improved since May 1, posting an ERA of 3.40 (159 IP, 60 ER) and lowering their full-season ERA from 5.70 to 4.48.
- - Michael Siani over his last 15 games is batting .370 with two home runs, 16 runs scored, and 10 stolen bases. In the month of June, Siani leads the MWL in batting average (.382), hits (13), and stolen bases (9); he is tied for first in runs scored (10), and eighth in OPS (.946). For the year, Siani is second in the MWL in stolen bases with 19.
- - Miles Gordon since joining the Dragons has played in eight games (the team has won all eight), going 12 for 33 (.364) with one home run and six stolen bases. In the month of June, Gordon is third the MWL in batting average; second in hits; second in stolen bases (6); tied for sixth in RBI (8); tied for eighth in runs (7), and 12th in OPS (.902).
- - Morgan Lofstrom over his last 12 games is batting .359 (14 for 39) to raise his average from .114 to .243.
- - Randy Ventura has hit safely in six straight games, batting .429 (9 for 21) to raise his average from .138 to .260.
- - Reliever Matt Pidich over his last seven games: 14.2 IP, 0 ER, 8 H, 7 BB, 16 SO.
- - Reliever Alexis Diaz over his last five games: 2.25 ERA, 12 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 5 BB, 14 SO.
- - Reliever Connor Bennett in his last five appearances has earned a win and four saves. He is tied for second in the MWL in saves with seven. He leads the league in appearances with 24.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Wednesday, June 12 (7:00 p.m.): West Michigan RH Robbie Welhaf (2-1, 1.33) at Dayton RH Lyon Richardson (1-4, 4.56)
Thursday, June 13 (7:00 p.m.): West Michigan RH Wilkel Hernandez (4-5, 4.33) at Dayton RH James Marinan (2-6, 5.09)
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.