Wednesday, August 27, 2014; Game # 133 (65)
Fifth Third Field; Dayton, Ohio; 7:07 p.m.
Radio: WONE-AM 980; TV: WHIO 7.2 (23, 372)
Lansing Lugnuts (27-37, 59-74) at Dayton Dragons (30-34, 66-66)
RH Starlyn Suriel (2-3, 2.84) vs. RH Nick Howard (1-1, 4.56)
Click here to view the entire Dragons Press Box Notes packet.
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Lansing Lugnuts (affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays) in the first game of a three-game series. Season Series: Dayton 8, Lansing 6 (at Dayton: Lugnuts 4, Dragons 3).
The Race: With six games to play, the Dragons are one-half game ahead of Great Lakes in the race for the East Division Second Half wildcard slot (#2 seed). The Dragons lead Bowling Green by one and one-half games, Fort Wayne by two games, and Lansing by three games.
Magic Number: The Dragons "magic number" to clinch a playoff berth is six (any combination of wins by the Dragons and losses by each team in the race totaling six would put the Dragons in the playoffs). Elimination numbers by team: Great Lakes: 6; Bowling Green: 5; Fort Wayne: 5; Lansing: 4.
- Phillip Ervin is batting .322 over his last 16 games to raise his average from .226 to .238. Ervin is hitting only .250 in the second half, but 25 of his 56 second half hits are for extra bases. Ervin is tied for fourth in the MWL in second half extra base hits.
- Nick Travieso over his last eight starts: 6-0, 45.2 IP, 10 R, 6 ER, 1.18 ERA. He has also broken the club record in career victories with 20.
- Alejandro Chacin in July-August: 21 G: 24.1 IP, 4 R, 36 SO, 1.48 ERA, 15 Sv. 3 of the 4 runs came in 1 inning 8/19 (first runs since 7/16). Chacin is second in all of Minor League Baseball in saves since July 1 with 15.
- The Dragons are 7-4 over their last 11 home games after going 2-10 over the previous 12 home games.
- The Dragons current team ERA of 3.54 would rank third best in club history over a full season.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (All game times are EDT) (All games on WONE 980 AM and WONE.com)
Thursday, August 28 (7:00 p.m.): Lansing LH Brent Powers (4-6, 5.53) at Dayton LH Amir Garrett (7-7, 3.58)
Friday, August 29 (7:00 p.m.): Lansing RH Brad Allen (6-5, 3.57) at Dayton RH Sal Romano (8-10, 4.01)
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.