Thursday, August 28, 2014; Game # 134 (66)
Fifth Third Field; Dayton, Ohio; 7:00 p.m.
Radio: WONE-AM 980
Lansing Lugnuts (28-37, 60-74) at Dayton Dragons (30-35, 66-67)
LH Brent Powers (4-6, 5.53) vs. LH Amir Garrett (7-7, 3.58)
Click here to view the entire Dragons Press Box Notes packet.
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Lansing Lugnuts (affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays) in the second game of a three-game series. Season Series: Dayton 8, Lansing 7 (at Dayton: Lugnuts 5, Dragons 3).
The Race: With five games to play, the Dragons are one-half game ahead of Great Lakes and Bowling Green in the race for the East Division Second Half wildcard slot (#2 seed). The Dragons lead Fort Wayne by one game, and Lansing by two games.
Magic Number: The Dragons "magic number" to clinch a playoff berth is five (any combination of wins by the Dragons and losses by each team in the race totaling five would put the Dragons in the playoffs). Elimination numbers by team: Great Lakes: 5; Bowling Green: 5; Fort Wayne: 5; Lansing: 4.
Today's Dragons Starting Pitcher: Amir Garrett makes his 27th start of 2014 for the Dragons tonight. In Garrett's last 16 starts, he is 7-3 with a 2.51 ERA, holding opposing batters to a combined average of .185.
- Phillip Ervin is batting .306 over his last 17 games to raise his average from .226 to .236. Ervin is hitting only .247 in the second half, but 25 of his 56 second half hits are for extra bases. Ervin is tied for fourth in the MWL in second half extra base hits.
- Nick Travieso over his last eight starts: 6-0, 45.2 IP, 10 R, 6 ER, 1.18 ERA. He has also broken the club record in career victories with 20.
- Alejandro Chacin in July-August: 21 G: 24.1 IP, 4 R, 36 SO, 1.48 ERA, 15 Sv. 3 of the 4 runs came in 1 inning 8/19 (first runs since 7/16). Chacin is second in all of Minor League Baseball in saves since July 1 with 15.
- The Dragons are 2-2 on the current homestand with two games remaining.
- The Dragons have scored two runs or less in six of their last seven games. They scored four runs on Sunday afternoon.
- The Dragons current team ERA of 3.53 would rank third best in club history over a full season.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (All game times are EDT) (All games on WONE 980 AM and WONE.com)
Friday, August 29 (7:00 p.m.): Lansing RH Brad Allen (6-5, 3.57) at Dayton RH Sal Romano (8-10, 4.01)
Saturday, August 30 (7:00 p.m.): Dayton RH Nick Travieso (13-5, 3.10) at Lake County RH Dace Kime (7-13, 4.93)
Sunday, August 31 (1:30 p.m.): Dayton RH Jackson Stephens (2-6, 4.10) at Lake County LH Luis Lugo (9-9, 5.16)
Monday, September 1 (1:00 p.m.): Dayton RH Nick Howard (1-1, 4.08) at Lake County RH Mitch Brown (8-8, 3.31)
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.