Sunday, August 31, 2014; Game # 137 (69)
Classic Park; Eastlake, Ohio; 1:30 p.m.
Radio: WONE-AM 980
Dayton Dragons (31-37, 67-69) at Lake County Captains (37-29, 64-72)
RH Jackson Stephens (2-6, 4.10) vs. LH Luis Lugo (9-9, 5.16)
Click here to see the entire Press Box Notes packet.
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Lake County Captains (affiliate of the Cleveland Indians) in the second game of a three-game series.
The Race: With two games to play, the Dragons are one-half game ahead of Great Lakes and Fort Wayne in the race for the East Division Second Half wildcard slot (#2 seed). They are one game ahead of both Lansing and Bowling Green.
Magic Number: The Dragons "magic number" to clinch a playoff berth is two (any combination of wins by the Dragons and losses by each team in the race totaling two would put the Dragons in the playoffs). Elimination numbers by team: Fort Wayne: 2; Great Lakes: 2; Lansing: 2; Bowling Green: 2.
- Robert Ramirez is batting .361 with three home runs over his last nine games. He has hit homers in three of the last four games.
- Jon Matthews is batting .359 over his last 12 games. He is hitting .316 for the year.
- Nick Benedetto is batting .298 in the month of August.
- Nick Travieso over his last nine starts: 7-0, 51.2 IP, 11 R, 7 ER, 1.22 ERA. He has clinched the Midwest League lead in wins for the season with 14, which is one short of the club record. He has also broken the club record in career victories with 21.
- Alejandro Chacin in July-August: 22 G: 25.1 IP, 4 R, 37 SO, 1.42 ERA, 15 Sv. 3 of the 4 runs came in 1 inning 8/19 (first runs since 7/16). Chacin is second in all of Minor League Baseball in saves since July 1 with 15.
- The Dragons broke out with 11 runs and 16 hits last night after they hit .122 as a team in the set vs. Lansing and .171 on the six-game homestand ending Friday. The Dragons had scored two runs or less in seven of their previous nine games (17 runs in those nine games).
- The Dragons would win wildcard tie-breakers vs. Fort Wayne, Bowling Green, and Great Lakes. They would lose tie-breaker vs. Lansing.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (All game times are EDT) (All games on WONE 980 AM and WONE.com)
Monday, September 1 (1:00 p.m.): Dayton RH Nick Howard (1-1, 4.08) at Lake County RH Mitch Brown (8-8, 3.31)
End of Regular Season
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.