FRESNO, Calif. - Happy Taco Tuesday. The Fresno Tacos are back.
Last baseball season on August 6, amidst over 18,000 people drawn to Downtown Fresno for the annual Taco Truck Throwdown, the Fresno Grizzlies rebranded as the "Fresno Tacos" for one game only, defeating the Sacramento River Cats 7-4 at Chukchansi Park.
In 2016, the Fresno Tacos will return to battle Pacific Coast League foes not just for one evening, but for all 10 Tuesday home games at Chukchansi Park this season. "Taco Tuesdays" will also feature a different local taco truck for each game, showcased as a competitor for the 6th Annual Taco Truck Throwdown, which will take place on Thursday, August 18 as the Grizzlies Tacos take on Omaha.
New Fresno Tacos jerseys and caps - with a twist of lime - have been unveiled for the 10 Tuesday home games (see attached image and image below). New Fresno Tacos merchandise will be for sale at the Grizzlies Team Store as the season approaches. Need a new taco hat? Well, there's taco hats, like the ones the players on the field will wear, and there's "taco hats" in a more literal sense:
Oh, the Fresno Tacos are back indeed. And much of the new merchandise will feature "Tito the Taco." While Parker is certainly for the Fresno Grizzlies, be on the lookout for the Fresno Tacos new official mascot, to be unveiled in person later this season.
Taco Tuesdays at Chukchansi Park will also feature big savings at the concession stands; $2 tacos, $2 churros and $2 sodas. Wear tacos, eat tacos and cheer for the Tacos. Counting this sentence, we've already used the word "taco" 29 times in this press release.
"Last season, there was some speculation that we might become the Fresno Tacos permanently, but to be sure, we're prouder than ever of the Fresno Grizzlies," said Tacos Grizzlies General Manager Derek Franks. "Coming off our first Pacific Coast League and Triple-A National Championship in franchise history, Growlifornia Republic is alive and growing. But we saw how special the Fresno Tacos were to our fans for just one night, and there's no harm in multiplying that pride times 10 this season."
(Full list of Taco Tuesday games in 2016: April 19 vs. Salt Lake, May 3 vs. Reno, May 10 vs. Tacoma, May 24 vs. Oklahoma City, June 7 vs. El Paso, June 21 vs. Albuquerque, June 28 vs. Tacoma, July 5 vs. Sacramento, July 26 vs. Las Vegas, and August 16 vs. Omaha.
Yes, the only team to visit Chukchansi Park twice on Taco Tuesdays is "Taco-ma.")
If you're scoring at home, that's 35 total "tacos" in this write-up.
OTHER DAILY PROMOS AT GRIZZLIES GAMES THIS SEASON:
· Must Catch Mondays: 2 field level reserve tickets, 2 Fresno Chafee Zoo Vouchers, 2 Blackbeard's Mini Golf Vouchers, 2 John's Incredible Pizza Company Kids' Buffets - all for just $22! Presented by The Fresno Bee.
· Wear The Bear Wednesdays: Wear Grizzlies gear to win tickets to the next Wednesday home game and a 25% discount at the team store!
· Tecate Thursdays: 24 oz. Tecate and Tecate Light for just $2, through the end of the fifth inning and $1 sodas (12 oz.), all game long!
· Farm Grown Fridays: Presented by Whole Foods Market, enjoy a farmer's market at every Friday home game this season!
· Save Mart Sundays: Future Houston Astros autograph session before the game, Family Catch on the Field before the game (beginning June 12) and Kids Run the Bases after the game presented by Sun-Maid!
ABOUT THE FRESNO GRIZZLIES
The 2015 National Champion Fresno Grizzlies, Triple-A affiliate of the Houston Astros, are a member of the 16-team Pacific Coast League and are one of 30 teams in the world playing the highest level of Minor League Baseball. The 2015 season was one of historic proportions for the team and City of Fresno, as the Grizzlies secured their first-ever Pacific Coast League and Triple-A National Championships. Learn about 2016 ticket plans by calling the front office at 559.320.TIXS between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday.