MIDLAND, Texas (May 15, 2018) - On the strength of a four-run first inning and great pitching down the stretch, the Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, edged the Midland RockHounds 5-4 Tuesday night at Security Bank Ballpark.
* The Riders scored four times in the first inning, capped by a three-run homer from Michael O'Neill .
* Midland scored twice in the fifth and plated two more runs in the seventh to make it 5-4. However, reliever Reed Garrett worked two scoreless innings - striking out five - to earn the save and seal the victory.
* Rehabbing outfielder Carlos Tocci went 2-for-3 with a triple, a walk, an RBI and a run in his second game with the Riders.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
* Michael O'Neill: 2-for-5, HR, 3 RBI
* Carlos Tocci: 2-for-3, 3B, BB, RBI, R (rehab)
* Wes Benjamin: 5 1/3 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K (W)
* Reed Garrett: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K (S)
NEWS AND NOTES
* Michael De Leon extended his hitting streak to eight games with a single in the second inning.
* Reliever Locke St. John made his Double-A debut Tuesday and struck out the only batter he faced on three pitches.
Riders at Midland, Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.
Probables: RHP Pedro Payano (1-3, 6.23) vs. RHP Kyle Friedrichs (2-2, 8.33)
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio, First Pitch App
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 13 seasons (2005-2017). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. Since then, the new ownership group, together with the City of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise enhancements, investing over $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store and the world's largest water feature in a sports facility, the massive Choctaw Lazy River. These enhancements earned the Riders and the City of Frisco Ballpark Digest's prestigious "Best Ballpark Renovation" award for two consecutive years (2015 and 2016). More than 140 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-Stars Chris Davis , Adrian Gonzalez , Ian Kinsler and Neftali Feliz , as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus , Rougned Odor and Nomar Mazara . For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.