FRISCO, Texas (April 9, 2018) - Scott Heineman continued his torrid start to the season at the plate but the Frisco RoughRiders, Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, were defeated 4-3 by the Springfield Cardinals Monday night.
- Fresh off a three-RBI performance Sunday, Heineman capped a three-run second inning with a two-run double Monday night, putting the Riders ahead 3-0.
- Springfield relievers Landon Beck and Chris Ellis combined to retire the final 12 batters faced, with Beck escaping a bases-loaded, no-out jam in the sixth to preserve the lead.
- Brett Martin made the start for the Riders and went five innings in his Double-A debut, surrendering four runs (three earned) on six hits.
- Rangers reliever Tony Barnette worked two scoreless innings in his third appearance with the Riders during his current rehab assignment.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Scott Heineman: 2-3, BB, 2 RBI
- Brett Martin: 5 IP, 6 H, 4 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 3 K
- Tony Barnette: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K
NEWS AND NOTES
- Heineman is 8-13 in his last four games. He reached safely in eight consecutive plate appearances (dating back to Saturday) before striking out in the seventh.
- Riders relievers logged four more scoreless innings Monday, lowering the unit's collective ERA to 0.89 through the season's first five games.
Riders vs. Springfield, Tuesday, 7:05 p.m.
Probables: RHP Richelson Pena (0-0, -.--) vs. RHP Jake Woodford (0-0, 9.00 ERA)
Tickets: Click here
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio, First Pitch App
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 13 seasons (2005-2017). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. Since then, the new ownership group, together with the City of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise enhancements, investing over $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store and the world's largest water feature in a sports facility, the massive Choctaw Lazy River. These enhancements earned the Riders and the City of Frisco Ballpark Digest's prestigious "Best Ballpark Renovation" award for two consecutive years (2015 and 2016). More than 140 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-StarsChris Davis , Adrian Gonzalez , Ian Kinsler and Neftali Feliz , as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus , Rougned Odor and Nomar Mazara . For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Art Garcia atAGarcia@RidersBaseball.com or Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.