SPRINGDALE, Ark. (Sept. 1, 2019) - Tyler Phillips turned in one more dominant performance to close his 2019 season Sunday, leading the Riders to a 2-1 win over Northwest Arkansas.
* Phillips worked 6 1/3 innings, allowing one run on three hits while striking out 10 Naturals hitters to earn the win in his final start of the season.
* Walker Weickel entered behind Phillips in the seventh, escaping a jam to preserve the lead. He stayed on the rest of the way to complete an eight-out save, stranding the winning run at second base in the ninth.
* The Riders collected both of their runs on a two-out, two-run double from Leody Taveras in the third.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
* Tyler Phillips: 6 1/3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 10 K (W)
* Walker Weickel: 2 2/3 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K (S)
* Leody Taveras: 1-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI
NEWS AND NOTES
* Phillips finished the year with 10 quality outings in his 18 appearances with the Riders, including six in his final eight.
Riders at NW Arkansas, Monday, 1:05 pm
RHP Richelson Pena (1-4, 4.68) vs. LHP J.C. Cloney (2-6, 4.02)
Video: MiLB.tv ||| Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn, MiLB First Pitch app
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 15 seasons (2005-2019). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. Since then, the new ownership group, together with the City of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise enhancements, investing over $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store and the world's largest water feature in a sports facility, the massive Lazy River. These enhancements earned the Riders and the City of Frisco Ballpark Digest's prestigious "Best Ballpark Renovation" award for two consecutive years (2015 and 2016). More than 160 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including current Rangers players Elvis Andrus, Nomar Mazara and Joey Gallo. For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.