CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (June 8, 2017) - Andy Ibanez , Juremi Profar and Michael O'Neill launched home runs, but the Frisco RoughRiders, the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, dropped an 11-6 slugfest to the Corpus Christi Hooks Thursday night at Whataburger Field.
- Andy Ibanez blasted a solo homer in the second inning, putting the Riders ahead 2-0. Juremi Profar's go-ahead three-run crank in the fourth made it 5-3, and Michael O'Neill's moon shot in the fifth cut the Riders' deficit to 8-6.
- Texas League home run leader J.D. Davis blasted two home runs for Corpus Christi, including a grand slam in a five-run fourth inning which gave the Hooks an 8-5 lead.
- Davis added a second blast in the seventh, making it 9-6. Corpus Christi's Jason Martin hit a two-run home run later in the frame, giving the Hooks an 11-6 lead they would not relinquish.
- Corpus Christi reliever Brock Dykxhoorn earned the victory with 3 1/3 scoreless innings. The righty allowed four hits and two walks, striking out seven.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Andy Ibanez: 4-5, home run, RBI, run
- Juremi Profar: 1-5, home run, three RBIs, run
- Michael O'Neill: 1-4, home run, RBI, run, walk
- David Ledbetter: 5 IP, 2 H, 5 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 7 K
NEWS AND NOTES
- Andy Ibanez tallied his second four-hit game of the season, with the other coming last Wednesday vs. Northwest Arkansas.
- Michael O'Neill became the sixth Riders hitter to hit a home run in consecutive games this season.
- Isiah Kiner-Falefa extended his on-base streak to 15 games with a double and a single.
- David Ledbetter struck out a season-high seven hitters in five innings of extended relief.
- Riders starter Collin Wiles' one-plus-inning outing Thursday marked the shortest start of his career since July 8, 2014 against the AZL Reds.
- With three home runs Thursday, Corpus Christi has collected 24 dingers in 15 games against the Riders this season.
RoughRiders at Corpus Christi, Friday, 7:05 p.m.
Probables: LHP Yohander Mendez (3-3, 3.52 ERA) vs. LHP Framber Valdez (Double-A debut)
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio App, MiLB First Pitch App
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 12 seasons (2005-2016). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. The new ownership group, together with the city of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise improvements over the past two seasons, investing nearly $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a new state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store, and the newest and biggest creation, the 174-foot Choctaw Lazy River. The upgrades made prior to the 2015 season earned the Riders and the City of Frisco "Best Ballpark Renovation" of 2015 by Ballpark Digest. The same publication also honored the Choctaw Lazy River as the best ballpark improvement over $1 million for the 2016 season. More than 140 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-Stars Chris Davis, Adrian Gonzalez, Ian Kinsler, and Nelson Cruz, as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus, Rougned Odor and Nomar Mazara. For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Art Garcia at AGarcia@RidersBaseball.com or Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.