The Greensboro Grasshoppers and Food Lion are proud to introduce Guilford's MVP Reading Program, an incentive-based program in conjunction with Guilford County Schools' Reads 30 program!
Students are challenged to read for 30 minutes each day in the month of February in order to complete Guilford's Homerun Reading Challenge! A homerun earns a FREE Greensboro Grasshoppers game ticket!
How to Participate
• Every GCS elementary school student will receive a bookmark, which represents a baseball diamond. Each base represents 150 minutes (5 days) of reading, with an overall goal of 600 minutes of reading (20 days).
• As students read, teachers will initial the base as they achieve each milestone.
• Once students have reached all the bases, they have hit a HOMERUN!
• All students who hit a homerun can bring their completed bookmark to First National Bank Field for a FREE TICKET to the Grasshoppers game designated on the bookmark!
Redeeming the Bookmark
• All students must hit a homerun in order to receive a ticket, and it must be recorded by the student's teacher.
• Completed bookmarks are only valid for the date listed on the bookmark.
• Bookmarks must be exchanged at the First National Bank Field box office.
• Bookmarks are good for one (1) free Box Seat ticket or General Admission ticket (not eligible for upgrades, exchanges or transfers).
• Limit of four (4) bookmarks redeemed per paid adult.
WHAT PARENTS NEED TO DO
• Encourage your child to read!
• Share pictures of your child reading on social media and tag @gsohoppers and @foodlion in your post!
• Bring your child and their completed bookmark to the designated game (listed on their bookmark) at First National Bank Field for their FREE Greensboro Grasshoppers game ticket!
• Discounted tickets for parents, family and friends can be purchased at the box office** at the same time you redeem your child's bookmark (this ensures you all sit together). Box seat tickets are $8 each, based on availability.
• Congratulate your reader and HAVE FUN AT THE GAME!
** You can redeem/purchase your tickets at the game or in advance, but it must be done in person.
• Guilford's Homerun Reading Challenge begins on February 1 and ends on February 28.
• Each school has been assigned to one of the following Reading Celebration Nights with the Hoppers!*
(Tuesday, April 9 @ 7:00 PM, Tuesday, April 30 @ 7:00 PM, Wednesday, May 1 @ 7:00 PM)
• Gates open at 6:00pm, but please be sure to arrive by 6:15pm to participate in the on-field pregame parade!
* Completed bookmarks are only valid for the game date listed on the bookmark.
What Teachers Need to Do
• Distribute bookmarks to students.
• Track student progress from February 1 - February 28 and initial the bases as students reach them.
• Encourage students to read!
• Share pictures of your class reading on social media and tag @gsohoppers and @foodlion in your post!
• Top reading students, classes and schools can also WIN PRIZES, courtesy of Food Lion! There will be prizes awarded for the top school, top 3 classes and top 3 readers.