On Wednesday night at FNB Field, the Senators (36-22) and Binghamton Rumble Ponies (31-22) went toe-to-toe with the Ponies coming out on top 7-5. Both teams plated three runs in the first inning, and both scored two in the second. And the end of two frames, the teams combined for 10 runs on 13 hits. Both teams then slowed considerably with Binghamton scoring in the sixth on a two-out, two-run home run which was the difference in the game. Harrisburg hit into three double plays in the final six frames which killed any rally attempt.
With the score 5-5 in the top of the sixth inning, Trevor Rosenthal retired the first two batters before Luis Carpio doubled on a two-strike pitch. Jason Krizan followed with a two-run home run into the left field seats giving Binghamton a 7-5 lead.
On Capitol Hill
• Tyler Mapes started and was the first of five pitchers for a second straight game. Tyler went five innings and allowed five runs, three earned. All the runs came in the first two innings. Tyler settled down and kept Binghamton off the board in innings three, four and five including retiring the side in order in the fifth.
• Trevor Rosenthal pitched the sixth and struck out the first two batters before allowing a single followed by an opposite field two-run home run by Jason Krizan. The home run just slipped over the fence in left field.
• Jordan Mills, Jonny Venters and Ronald Pena all tossed scoreless frames. Binghamton had just one hit the final three frames.
With the Gavel
• Jose Marmolejos, Chuck Taylor and Luis Garcia all had two hits in the game. Marmolejos drove in two runs in the first inning with his first hit.
• Ian Sagdal had an RBI single in the second. Adrian Sanchez had a hit and drove in a run with a single.
• One night after the teams combined to go 10-for-21 with runners in scoring position, they combined to go 7-for-21 Wednesday night.
• It was the third straight game the Senators used five pitchers.
• The bullpen has gone 12 innings over the last three games and has allowed five runs.
• The Senators have 12 games remaining and lead Akron by 6 games pending the outcome of Akron's game with Reading.
The Senators and Binghamton Rumble Ponies play the final game of their three-game series Thursday night at 7:00 p.m. The game can be heard on CBS Sports Radio Harrisburg 96.5FM 95.3FM and 1400AM beginning at 6:50 p.m.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.