Check out the latest episode of The Show Before the Show, MiLB.com's official podcast. A segment rundown is listed below, in case you want to skip to a particular section. Like the podcast? Subscribe, rate and review The Show Before the Show on iTunes. Send your questions and feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can follow hosts Tyler Maun (@TylerMaun) and Sam Dykstra (@SamDykstraMiLB) on Twitter.
Listen to The Show Before the Show Podcast »
Three Strikes (starts at 3:47):
- Nationals No. 2 prospect Trea Turner was called up to the Majors last week, so Sam and Tyler discuss what's been a roller coaster year for the shortstop, given the way he was finally traded from the Padres in June, was the subject of trade rumors again in July and dominated at the plate with three teams across two levels at the same time.
- For strike two, the guys turn their attention to Cardinals right-hander Luke Weaver, who was featured in last week's Toolshed column. With St. Louis developing tons of pitching talent, Sam goes in depth on why a dominant Florida State League season is showing that the organization's No. 9 prospect could be the next big arm in the system.
- The third segment covers one of the more, ahem, controversial (and existential) topics in the Minors of the last week. What constitutes a winning streak? Class A Savannah saw its 18-game winning streak come to an end with a 1-1 tie Sunday, but manager Jose Leger claimed, "in our minds, the streak continues." The guys decide whether Leger has a point or not.
- There's a bonus strike this week! With the Potomac Nationals' Lando Calrissian uniform winning Jersey Joust, Sam, being the nerd he is, rejoices.
Trevor Story interview (23:30)
- Tyler traveled to Albuquerque's Isotopes Park to talk with the Rockies' No. 11 prospect about his jump to the Triple-A level, what he's learned from being a young first-round pick and how the Troy Tulowitzki trade could affect his future.
What We've Read This Week (34:35)
Ben's Biz Banter (42:50)
- Benjamin Hill joins for his weekly segment and talks about the New Orleans Zephyrs' memories of Hurricane Katrina a decade after the storm hit Louisiana. He also discusses Eugene's Portlandia Night, which leads the whole group to talk about whether pants are the next trend in promotional jerseys and whether the '90s are back for good. Ben also gives a quick preview of his upcoming trip through New England -- his last trip of the 2015 season.
Wrapping up (58:33)