Mariners and Cardinals Split Two Games

By Pulaski Mariners | August 13, 2014 11:02 PM ET

The Pulaski Mariners (28-23) and the Johnson City Cardinals (27-25) contested two games Wednesday evening to make up a rained out game earlier in the season. The two teams split the doubleheader with Pulaski emerging victorious 8-1 in game one and Johnson City taking game two 4-2.

The Mariners struck early and struck hard in the bottom of the first inning of game one. Arby Fields worked a leadoff walk to kick start the offense, and Gianfranco Wawoe followed behind with a double. An Estarlyn Morales fielder's choice later, Wayne Taylor belted a triple into deep left field which scored both Wawoe and Morales. Taylor would later score on a groundout by Jay Baum.

Johnson City promptly responded in the second inning as Casey Grayson slugged a leadoff homerun over the right field wall, but Pat Peterson (1-1, 3.79( quickly regrouped and retired the next three batters.

Peterson kept the Cardinals off the board for the next two innings, and then the Mariners offense exploded to the tune of four runs on five hits-all singles.

Taylor Zeutenhorst sliced an opposite field single into left field to start the single barrage. Zeutenhorst would later score in the inning. Georvic Perez took the baton from Zeutenhorst and deposited another single into left field.

Tom Verdi and Chase Nyman both slashed run scoring singles and would later score themselves to complete the four-run fourth.

Peterson did an excellent job of pitching around base runners all night. He threw six innings of one-run ball on three hits and three walks to earn his first win of the season.

Daniel Thieben (2-0, 3.50 ERA) entered the game in the seventh inning to close out the affair. He finished the game with relative ease, causing Jesus Ustariz to ground into a double play, and the Mariners won, 8-1.



Game two of the doubleheader started a bit rougher for the Mariners. Rigoberto Garcia (0-2, 15.75 ERA) took to the dirt hill to try and duplicate the success of his predecessor Patrick Peterson. The first inning for Garcia contained a couple of walks and a single to load the bases, but a swinging strikeout of Chris Rivera and a pick off from Daniel Torres to Jay Baum helped get Garcia out of the jam.

The Mariners struck early in the bottom of the first once again with a couple of hits from Tom Verdi and Jay Baum to take an early 1-0 lead.

The Cardinals quickly get that run back in the top of the 2nd inning on a bloop single from Anthony Ray which scored Adam Ehlrich.

Rigoberto Garcia's control issues surfaced once again in the 4th inning. He allowed three earned runs before being replaced by Jarrett Brown (1-1, 4.71). Brown allowed a couple of hits before finally pitching out of the jam.

The Mariners scored their final run of the game in the fourth inning Baum singled and scored on a groundout by Wayne Taylor. After that, Pulaski's bats fell silent, and the team was held without a hit through the final three frames.

Johnson City and Pulaski play once again tomorrow night at Historic Calfee Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7pm.


This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.

View More