RICHMOND, VA - The Richmond Flying Squirrels, in conjunction with the Eastern League, are pleased to announce that five players have been selected to participate in the 2013 Eastern League All-Star Game. RHP Edwin Quirarte, LHP Jack Snodgrass, OF Javier Herrera, INF Mark Minicozzi and C Andrew Susac will be members of the Western Division All-Star Team that will compete in the EL All-Star Game at New Britain Stadium in New Britain, CT, on Wednesday, July 10th.
The Eastern League All-Star Game will feature the Western Division All-Stars vs. the Eastern Division All-Stars. Players were chosen though voting conducted by league managers, media members and fans.
- Mark Minicozzi (INF) - Minicozzi was an easy choice for his first All-Star game, currently 3rd in the league's batting race at an average of .331 (8-245). He is also 2nd in the circuit in on-base percentage (.430) and is tied for 5th with 81 hits. He was the runaway selection as the league's player of the month in May, and also earned a Player of the Week honor during that month. The 30-year old is in his second stint with the San Francisco Giants after re-signing with the organization in May of 2012. He was originally drafted by the Giants out of East Carolina in 2005
- Javier Herrera (OF) - Herrera has reemerged on the prospect radar while spending his first season in the Giants organization. Twice named as an overall Milb top-100 prospect during his years with the Oakland Athletics, the 28-year old has showcased all five tools this season. He is currenty 2nd to Minicozzi on the team in batting average, and ranks 9th in the Eastern League (.309, 72-233). He is also the club leader in 2Bs (19), RBIs (41) and stolen bases (15). A native of Caracas, VZ, Herrera signed with the Giants as a minor league free agent during the off-season.
- Andrew Susac (C) - Susac, 23, is the youngest Squirrels' All-Star. A dual-threat catcher, the Oregon State product has impressed on both sides of the ball during his first year in the Eastern League. He has thrown out 39% of base stealers, while also batting .268 with 9 HRs and 36 RBIs. Additionally, he has walked 34 times, and boasts an on-base percentage of .375. A 2nd round pick of the Giants in 2011, Susac is in his second professional season and is currently ranked by Baseball America as the top catching prospect in the San Francisco organization.
- Edwin Quirarte (RHP) - Quirarte, 26, will make his first Eastern League All-Star appearance in his third season in the Eastern League. He has blossomed into one of the top pitchers in the circuit after converting to a sidearm angle in May of 2012. In his first full season since making the conversion, Quirarte is tops among Squirrels relievers with a 2.37 ERA. He is 2nd on the team in appearances (29) to LHP Phil McCormick (30), and boasts an average against of .245. A native of Oxnard, CA, Quirarte was chosen in the 5th round of the 2008 draft by the Giants. 2013 is his sixth professional season.
- Jack Snodgrass (LHP) - Snodgrass took the Eastern League by storm, co-authoring the first no-hitter in Flying Squirrels history in his Double-A debut against the New Britain Rock Cats on April 5th. It was only the beginning for the Austin Peay State product. He currently sits 5th in the EL in ERA (2.82) through 13 starts. He boasts an average against of .215 and a WHIP of 1.04, having allowed just 56 hits in 73.1 IP. The 25-year old was also a California League All-Star while a member of the San Jose Giants in 2012. He was selected by the Giants in the 27th round of the 2011 draft.
The Squirrels travel to Erie, PA, to open a four-game series with the Erie SeaWolves at Jerry Uht Park on Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. The Flying Squirrels Pregame Warmup will begin on Sports Radio 910, SportsRadio910.com and iHeart Radio at 6:35 p.m.