When asked by the villain if he "owned" rubber gloves, Fletch (Chevy Chase) replied "no … I rent 'em. I have a lease with an option to buy."
The same might be said of Frisco's Teodoro Martinez, who may not own the 'Hounds, but he sure seems to "have a lease, with an option to buy."
Sunday, Martinez went 4-for-5 with two home runs (a grand slam and a three-run homer) and a double, driving in eight runs in Frisco's 14-4 win.
For the season, Martinez now has 15 home runs and 47 RBI, more than half coming against the 'Hounds. Including Sunday's onslaught, he now has nine HR and 28 RBI in the season series.
Martinez' grand slam came in the second inning, producing the game's first runs. The ball landed just inside the main outfield wall, but cleared the corner of the short bullpen fence. By the time he added his second homer (which also barely cleared the short fence into the bullpen), the three-run swing made the score 13-0.
Nick Martinez earned the win, allowing one run in six innings. The right-hander, who is having a breakthrough season, tossed seven no-hit innings against Corpus Christi in his last outing. Sunday's start was just his fifth appearance at the Double-A level (since his call-up from Advanced-A).
Thank You, West Texas … Y'All Are A-w-e-s-o-m-e!
Sunday's attendance was 5,496, adding to the newly set all-time franchise record, now at 313,730 !!
Kibbles & Bits
- Max Muncy was a bright spot for the RockHounds, hitting a pair of home runs and running his hit streak to eight games (11-30, .367). The Midland native (Max was born here) is 6-for-his-last-12 with four runs, two home runs, two doubles, a triple and five RBI.
- Chad Oberacker also gave the 'Hounds' "faithful" something cheer about, ripping his Texas League-leading 12th triple of the season. The three-bagger also extended his hitting streak to nine games (13-for-38, .342). In his last four games, "Obie" is 8-for-17 with two doubles, a triple, a home run and seven RBI. He stole two bases Friday, and has now swiped 17 bags while being caught just once.
- After seeing his 33-game hit streak (longest in professional baseball in 2013) end Saturday night, D'Arby Myers doubled (on a fifth 0-2 pitch) and scored in the eighth, and has now hit in 34-of-35 games.
- Jefry Marte continued a torrid month of August at the "dish," extending his on-base streak to 18 games, going 2-for-4. The 'Hounds' third baseman has hit in 16-of-those-18 contests, batting .431 (31-72). Over his last 26 games, Jefry is hitting .370 (37-100).
- Conner Crumbliss has seen his average drop a bit of late, but continues to contribute (with remarkable consistency) from the lead-off spot. Beginning with a 25-game on-base streak (July 3-29), Conner has now reached base in 46-of-50 games. He is tied for 10th in the league with a .278 average … is fourth in walks (67) … and third in on-base percentage (.401).
- The RockHounds conclude the 2013 Texas League season, hosting the Frisco RoughRiders, Monday (Labor Day) afternoon at four o' o'clock.
WP: Nick Martinez (2-0, 1.13)
LP: Sean Murphy (8-8, 4.08)
HR: Frisco - Teodoro Martinez (14) A grand slam in the 2nd (off Sean Murphy)
RockHounds - Max Muncy (3) Solo in the 2nd (off Nick Martinez)
Frisco - Teodoro Martinez (15) A 3-run HR in the 6th (off Nate Long)
RockHounds - Max Muncy (4) A 2-run HR in the 7th (off Jon Edwards)
vs. Frisco RoughRiders (Texas Rangers' AA Affiliate)
Monday, September 2 - 4:00 p.m. (Radio at 3:55 p.m.)
Frisco: (RH) Jerad Eickhoff (1-1, 7.65)
RockHounds: (RH) Drew Granier (2-6, 5.29)
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.