In the last two games of their four-game series with San Antonio, the RockHounds collected 17 runs on 28 hits, and did it against what is, by far, the best pitching staff in the Texas League (a team ERA of 3.00 entering Thursday's game).
Friday night, the 'Hounds faced Matt Wisler, the # 6 prospect in the San Diego Padres' organization, and perhaps the hottest pitcher in the league over the past month. In his previous six starts, the right-hander had allowed just two runs on 14 hits in 31 innings. The 'Hounds scored five runs on eight hits over four innings against Wisler, building a 5-1 lead en route to a 7-1 win.
The win gave the Rockhounds a 3-1 series win and a split (16-16) of the season series with San Antonio, the league's second-best club (77-59).
The night's "headline" drama unfolded quickly, with D'Arby Myers sending a 3-2 pitch into right-center field for a first-inning double, extending his hit streak to 33 games. The streak is four shy of the all-time Texas League record, set by El Paso's Bobby Trevino 44 years ago (1969) and is now the longest in professional baseball in 2013 by six games (Boston's David Ortiz and Colorado's Michael Cuddyer had 27-gamers).
Kibbles & Bits
- In his streak, which began July 21, D'Arby Myers is hitting .357 (50-140), and has raised his batting average by 30 points since the remarkable run began. He is now hitting .290 for the season, fifth in the Texas League batting race.
- If not for D'Arby's streak, Jefry Marte would be the "talk of the team" … and maybe the league. Jefry (3-for-4, three runs, double, RBI) has now hit in 15-of-his-last-16 games (and has reached base in 16 straight), hitting .446 (29-65) in that time. Over his last 25 games, the 'Hounds' third baseman is hitting .376 (35-93).
- Chad Oberacker has been red-hot, hitting in seven straight games (10-for-30, .333). In his last two games, "Obie" is 5-for-9 with two doubles, a home run and six RBI. He stole two basses Friday, and has now swiped 17 bags while being caught just once.
- Josh Whitaker busted out of a 4-for-39 slump with four consecutive hits (two doubles and three RBI) Thursday night, and added a two-run double Friday. He is now 5-for-his-last-9 with three doubles and four RBI.
- Murphy Smith finished his season with another quality start, going 7.0 innings and allowing just one run on eight hits and one walk, striking out five. "Murph," who has ranked among the league's top 10 pitchers virtually all season, finishes 9-8, with a 3.48 ERA (fifth in the league).
- Conner Crumbliss (0-for-5) failed to reach base for just the fourth time in 48 games, but is hitting .310 in his last 17 games and ranks seventh in the league batting race at .280 … is fifth in walks (65) and third in on-base percentage (.402).
- The RockHounds conclude the 2013 Texas League season, hosting the Frisco RoughRiders in a three-game Labor Day weekend series. Saturday night's game will include the season's final fireworks show, followed by Sunday and (Labor Day) Monday games at four o'clock.
WP: Murphy Smith (9-8, 3.47)
LP: Matt Wisler (8-5, 3.00)
vs. Frisco RoughRiders (Texas Rangers' AA Affiliate)
Saturday, August 31 - 7:00 p.m. (Radio at 6:55 p.m.)
Frisco: (RH) Phil Klein (5-1, 2.68)
RockHounds: (RH) Zach Neal (8-11, 4.25)
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.