SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (April 13, 2017) - Early runs and dominant starting pitching from Ariel Jurado helped the Frisco RoughRiders, the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, top the Springfield Cardinals 7-1 at Hammons Field.
- The Riders scored four runs over the first two innings, jumping all over Cardinals starter Sandy Alcantara. Eric Aguilera crushed a two-run homer, his first blast of the season, in the first inning. In the second, Andy Ibanez's solo shot and Michael De Leon's RBI double made it 4-0.
- Michael De Leon doubled in a run in the fourth, while Isiah Kiner-Falefa's bloop single plated a pair to make it 7-1.
- Frisco starter Ariel Jurado dazzled, earning his first victory of the season. He held Springfield to one run on four hits and one walk over six innings, while striking out five.
- Cardinals starter Sandy Alcantara, who tossed six scoreless against the Riders on April 7, exited after 3 2/3 innings. He suffered the loss after yielding seven runs on six hits, two walks and a career-high six wild pitches.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Ariel Jurado: W, 6.0 IP, 1 R, 4 H, 1 BB, 5 K
- Andy Ibanez: 2-4, home run, RBI, run
- Eric Aguilera: 1-5, home run, two RBIs, run
- Isiah Kiner-Falefa: 2-5, two RBIs
- Michael De Leon: 2-4, double, two RBIs, run
NEWS AND NOTES
- The Riders got the leadoff man aboard in six of the nine innings Thursday, scoring him three times.
- Thursday's game marked the third time in seven games that the Riders have notched two home runs in the same game (also April 8 vs. Springfield and April 9 vs. Tulsa).
- Scott Heineman extended his hitting streak to six games, while Eric Aguilera extended his streak to five games.
- Michael De Leon has three RBIs in the past two games, bringing his season total to five, second-most on the team (Isiah Kiner-Falefa, 7).
RoughRiders at Springfield, Friday, 7:10 p.m.
Probables: LHP Yohander Mendez (1-0, 3.60 ERA) vs. LHP Austin Gomber (0-1, 54.00 ERA)
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio App, MiLB First Pitch App
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 12 seasons (2005-2016). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. The new ownership group, together with the city of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise improvements over the past two seasons, investing nearly $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a new state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store, and the newest and biggest creation, the 174-foot Choctaw Lazy River. The upgrades made prior to the 2015 season earned the Riders and the City of Frisco "Best Ballpark Renovation" of 2015 by Ballpark Digest. The same publication also honored the Choctaw Lazy River as the best ballpark improvement over $1 million for the 2016 season. More than 140 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-Stars Chris Davis, Adrian Gonzalez, Ian Kinsler, and Nelson Cruz, as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus, Rougned Odor and Nomar Mazara. For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Art Garcia at AGarcia@RidersBaseball.com or Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.