SAN ANTONIO, Texas (May 12, 2017) - Yohander Mendez shut out San Antonio over seven strong innings, sending the Frisco RoughRiders, the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, to a 3-0 win over the Missions Friday night at Nelson Wolff Municipal Stadium.
- Yohander Mendez, the Rangers' top pitching prospect, fired seven shutout innings, allowing two hits and three walks with five strikeouts for his second victory of the season. He had a no-hitter through six innings prior to allowing a leadoff single to Nick Torres at the beginning of the seventh.
- Royce Bolinger gave the Riders a 2-0 lead in the top of the second on a two-run home run. In the fifth, Matt Lipka tripled and scored on Scott Heineman's RBI single to put the team ahead 3-0.
- Reed Garrett worked two perfect innings to earn his second save.
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Yohander Mendez: W, 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 K
- Royce Bolinger: 1-3, home run, RBI, run, HBP
- Matt Lipka: 1-4, triple, run
NEWS AND NOTES
- With seven shutout innings Friday night, Yohander Mendez has allowed one unearned run over 14 innings during his two starts at Wolff Stadium this season. Mendez has never allowed an earned run in 19 career innings in San Antonio, covering three starts.
- Royce Bolinger's home run was his first long ball in 60 at-bats, last cranking one out on April 9 against Tulsa.
- Following Friday night's decision, each of the 10 head-to-head meetings between the Riders and Missions have been decided by three or fewer runs, including four one-run affairs.
- The Riders posted their second shutout victory of the season with Friday's win, recording their first since April 18 in a 3-0 win at Tulsa. Frisco also tied its season-low with two hits allowed, also accomplishing the feat April 23 vs. Corpus Christi.
RoughRiders at San Antonio, Saturday, 7:05 p.m.
Probables: RHP Collin Wiles (3-0, 2.63 ERA) vs. RHP Kyle Lloyd (3-3, 4.00 ERA)
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio App, MiLB First Pitch App
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.