SAN ANTONIO, Texas (May 14, 2017) - Despite rallying to tie the game in the eighth inning, the Frisco RoughRiders, the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, dropped the series finale in San Antonio, losing 4-3 in 16 innings Sunday afternoon at Nelson Wolff Stadium.
- Nick Torres drove in the winning run for the Missions with an RBI single in the bottom of the 16th inning, sending San Antonio to a 4-3 victory.
- Riders catcher Kevin Torres pitched from the 13th inning on. Torres retired each of the first seven men he faced before stranding the bases loaded in the 15th. .
- San Antonio first baseman Ty France pitched a scoreless 16th to earn the win.
- Trailing 3-0, the Riders tied the ballgame in the top of the eighth inning. Jose Trevino's two-run single to right field made it 3-2, while Eric Aguilera scored from third base on a dropped third strike to tie the game.
- San Antonio took a 3-0 lead in the fifth on a three-run homer from A.J. Kennedy .
KEY RIDERS PERFORMERS
- Isiah Kiner-Falefa: 3-7, 2B
- Kevin Torres: L, 3 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 0 K
- Jose Trevino: 1-4, two RBIs
- Adam Loewen: 2 IP, 0 H, 2 K
- Connor Sadzeck: ND, 6 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 K
NEWS AND NOTES
- Sunday's game was the fourth game in team history to go at least 16 innings. The most recent 16-inning game was July 10, 2013 at Corpus Christi.
- Kevin Torres became the 24th position player to pitch in team history. Preston Beck most recently worked on the mound on May 17, 2016, earning the win in a 15-inning game at Midland.
- The Riders played their Texas League-leading sixth extra-inning game of the season Sunday
- Frisco snapped a 20-inning scoreless streak with the three-run eighth inning.
- Isiah Kiner-Falefa collected his first three-hit game of the season and his 11th multi-hit game of the year.
- Following Sunday's decision, each of the 12 head-to-head meetings between the Riders and Missions have been decided by three or fewer runs, including four one-run affairs.
- Connor Sadzeck turned in his third quality start and the staff's 15th of the season, including 10 of the past 12 outings.
RoughRiders vs. Midland, Monday, 7:05 p.m.
Probables: RHP Ariel Jurado (2-3, 4.81 ERA) vs. RHP Grant Holmes (2-2, 5.53 ERA)
Tickets: Click here
Audio: RidersBaseball.com, TuneIn Radio App, MiLB First Pitch App
About the RoughRiders
The Frisco RoughRiders are the Double-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers and play their games at beautiful Dr Pepper Ballpark in Frisco, Texas. The team was founded in 2003 and has finished first among all Double-A franchises in attendance in each of the last 12 seasons (2005-2016). In August 2014, the RoughRiders were purchased by an ownership group led by Chuck Greenberg. The new ownership group, together with the city of Frisco, has spearheaded numerous major franchise improvements over the past two seasons, investing nearly $8 million in a wide array of facility upgrades and improvements, including a new state-of-the-art HD video board, sound system, Bull Moose Saloon, InTouch Grille, Riders Outpost Team Store, and the newest and biggest creation, the 174-foot Choctaw Lazy River. The upgrades made prior to the 2015 season earned the Riders and the City of Frisco "Best Ballpark Renovation" of 2015 by Ballpark Digest. The same publication also honored the Choctaw Lazy River as the best ballpark improvement over $1 million for the 2016 season. More than 140 former RoughRiders players have gone on to play Major League Baseball, including All-Stars Chris Davis, Adrian Gonzalez, Ian Kinsler, and Nelson Cruz, as well as current Rangers stars Elvis Andrus, Rougned Odor and Nomar Mazara. For more information on the Frisco RoughRiders and Dr Pepper Ballpark, please visit RidersBaseball.com or contact Art Garcia at AGarcia@RidersBaseball.com or Ryan Rouillard at RRouillard@RidersBaseball.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.