SALEM, Virginia (July 5, 2019) - Daniel Gonzalez delivered another consistent performance backed by big bats to take a rain-shortened 5-1 victory from Down East Friday at Haley Toyota Field.
How it Happened
* Marcus Wilson drew a walk to start the second inning and immediately scored when Dylan Hardy singled. Nick Lovullo connected with another single to push Hardy 90 feet from home. A sacrifice fly from Nick Sciortino advanced Salem 2-0.
* Down East slashed the difference 2-1 in the fourth inning after the Woodies loaded the bases and pushed an RBI single.
* Salem rallied for insurance in the bottom of the frame, starting with a single from Edgar Corcino. Hardy followed suit and both came home on a triple from Lovullo. Tanner Nishioka doubled to push Salem along 5-1.
* Daniel Gonzalez finished six innings of work, permitting just one run and four hits while striking out five.
* After the top of the seventh inning, time was called due to lightening in the area and the tarp preemptively pulled for rain.
* Nick Lovullo: 2-for-2, 2 RBI, R, 2B
* Dylan Hardy: 2-for-3, RBI, 2 R
* Daniel Gonzalez: 6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K - W (3-6)
* Of Salem's three rain-shortened contests this season, they're 3-0.
Salem Red Sox vs Down East Wood Ducks Saturday, July 6, 2019. First pitch is scheduled for 3:05 PM EST.
LHP Jhonathan Diaz vs. RHP Collin Wiles
Listen: SalemSox.com, TuneIn Radio, ESPN Blacksburg WKEX 1430 AM/94.1 FM, WGMN 1240 AM/93.3 FM
The Salem Red Sox are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox and call Haley Toyota Field in Salem, Virginia home. The team was founded in 1968 and purchased by Fenway Sports Management in December of 2007. For more information on the Salem Red Sox, please visit SalemRedSox.com or contact Melanie Newman at MNewman@salemsox.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.