POTOMAC, Virginia (April 23, 2019) - Jhonathan Diaz delivered his best start of the season tossing six innings of shutout ball en route to a 2-0 Salem win over the Potomac Nationals at Pfitzner Stadium on Tuesday night.
How it Happened
* Jhonathan Diaz made his fourth start on the mound for the season, twirling 6 innings on the bump and allowing only 3 hits and fanning 6.
* Jackson Tetreault did his best to match Diaz, pitching 6 innings and allowing 2 hits, 1 run (earned), 2 walks and striking out 3.
* Joseph Monge led-off the 5th inning with a walk before teammate Garrett Benge advanced him to third base on a line-drive single to right field. Monge later scored on a sacrifice fly by outfielder, Jagger Rusconi, putting the Sox up 1-0.
* Monge came up big in the 9th to give the Sox some insurance, knocking in teammate Ryan Fitzgerald to put Salem up 2-0 for the remainder of the game.
* Jhonathan Diaz: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 6 K
* Joan Martinez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 SO
* Joseph Monge: 1-for-3, 1 RBI, 1 R, 1 BB
* Jhonathan Diaz went six innings on the bump, his longest start of the 2019 season. His 6 strikeouts are also a personal best in a Salem uniform. His longest starts with the Salem Red Sox have both been against the Potomac Nationals, on June 11, 2018 Diaz went 4 and 1/3 innings while striking out four.
* Joseph Monge got his first hit of the season with Salem, a single to shallow right field in the top of the 9th knocking in the 2nd run of the game.
* Nick Sciortino caught 2 Nationals on the base paths, now totaling 6 toss-outs for him behind the dish in 2019.
Salem Red Sox @ Potomac Nationals, Wednesday, April 24, 2019. First pitch is set for 7:05 PM EST.
RHP Bryan Mata vs. LHP Nick Raquet
Listen: SalemSox.com, TuneIn Radio, ESPN Blacksburg WKEX 1430 AM/94.1 FM, ESPN Roanoke WGMN 1240 AM/93.3 FM
The Salem Red Sox are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox and call Haley Toyota Field in Salem, Virginia home. The team was founded in 1968 and purchased by Fenway Sports Management in December of 2007. For more information on the Salem Red Sox, please visit SalemRedSox.com or contact Melanie Newman at MNewman@salemsox.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.