SALEM, Virginia (April 16, 2019) - Salem and Down East tangled Tuesday night in a pitchers' duel, Kutter Crawford racking up 8 strikeouts in his start, but the Wood Ducks launched a 9th-inning jack to win 2-0.
How it Happened
* Crawford dealt 5 2/3 of scoreless, 4-hit ball. The righty struck out 8 batters, matching his 2018 season high.
* The Wood Ducks' Tyler Phillips answered with seven scoreless innings of his own, leaving seven Red Sox stranded.
* The levees broke in the 9th, Down East attacked with a lead-off home run to finally score first, 1-0. Eric Jenkins doubled down with an RBI double to extend the lead, 2-0.
* Charlie Madden led-off the bottom of the frame with a single but was tagged in a double play to end the contest.
* Kutter Crawford: 5.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 8 K
* Andrew Politi: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K
* Ryan Fitzgerald's single in the first extended his hit streak to 7 games.
* Victor Acosta knocked two hits, each with two outs tonight, a single in the 5th and a double in the 7th.
Salem Red Sox vs Down East Wood Ducks, Wednesday, April 17, 2019. First pitch is set for 7:05 EST
LHP Jhonathan Diaz vs. TBA
Listen: SalemSox.com, TuneIn Radio, ESPN Blacksburg WKEX 1430 AM/94.1 FM, ESPN Roanoke WGMN 1240 AM/93.3 FM
Watch: MiLB TV
The Salem Red Sox are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox and call Haley Toyota Field in Salem, Virginia home. The team was founded in 1968 and purchased by Fenway Sports Management in December of 2007. For more information on the Salem Red Sox, please visit SalemRedSox.com or contact Melanie Newman at MNewman@salemsox.com
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.