SALEM, Virginia (July 6, 2019) - Jhonathan Diaz limited the Wood Ducks to just one hit Saturday but a ninth inning rally spurred extra-inning chaos as Down East defeated Salem 6-2 at Haley Toyota Field.
How it Happened
* The Red Sox connected in the second inning. Nick Lovullo singled and Sammy Miranda doubled to push runners into scoring position and a sacrifice fly from Tanner Nishioka delivered a 1-0 lead for Salem.
* Ryan Fitzgerald doubled the lead with an RBI single in the fifith inning.
* The Wood Ducks cut the lead 2-1 thanks to an RBI single in the sixth inning.
* Jhonathan Diaz finished a nearly superb start, permitting one unearned run and one hit while striking out four.
* Trouble struck in the top of the 9th with two outs as the Woodies loaded the bases and tied the game after Yohel Pozo drew a base-on-balls. Down East rolled into extra innings hot, Diosbel Arias knocked a three-run triple and scored himself on a wild pitch for a 6-2 advantage. Joe Kuzia silenced Salem to secure the series win.
* Jhonathan Diaz: 5.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
* Hunter Smith: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
Salem Red Sox vs Wilmington Blue Rocks Sunday, July 7, 2019. First pitch is scheduled for 2:05 PM EST.
RHP Dylan Thompson vs. TBA
Listen: SalemSox.com, TuneIn Radio, ESPN Blacksburg WKEX 1430 AM/94.1 FM, WGMN 1240 AM/93.3 FM
The Salem Red Sox are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox and call Haley Toyota Field in Salem, Virginia home. The team was founded in 1968 and purchased by Fenway Sports Management in December of 2007. For more information on the Salem Red Sox, please visit SalemRedSox.com or contact Melanie Newman at MNewman@salemsox.com.
This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.